first time killer here

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Erock1234, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Erock1234

Erock1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    Hey all i just had to post and let someone know. I had a few too many roosters in the pen (5 all together) so I had been pondering scalding, but finding a pot was serving a bit of a problem. So talking around i had a friend say just skin them...huh? well i offered him if he showed me how, long story short there is 2 rir 1 astorlop and 1 dominique less and a freezer full [​IMG] it was alot easier then i thought it would be!!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Good for you! It's a lot nicer for the hens when the extra roos go to freezer camp. It sounds like you put them straight into the freezer though so the meat might be tougher they you're expecting, I'd probably cook those bird all day in the crockpot on low. It's better if you let them rest in the fridge for a few days before cooking or freezing. We skinned or first batch of roos too. They were all just over a year old and since I was going to stew them anyhow there didn't seem much point in bothering with plucking.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Congrats! [​IMG]

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Yeah, it's quick and easy.

Me, I have do things the hard way because I can't bear to throw away that tasty, tasty skin!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I know that the first time I helped DH it was sort of rough on a emotional level, but I know that it is part of owning birds. So way to go on sending the roos to freezer camp.

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Congrats , feels good to provide yourself meat doesn't it ? Skinning is easier than plucking and supposedly healthier , but occassionally even hand plucking is OK [ if I have to [​IMG] ] to put up a tasty frier .

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    The first time I did it I was really nervous, I didnt want to make a fool of myself by crying and stuff. But after the first one it really didnt matter, its not as hard as people thing really.

8. Erock1234

Erock1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    @ Kittymomma thanks [​IMG] and also for the cooking advise, I did as I normally do with deer cooked some after i froze ya that dud is a bit tough lol so glad you posted or I'd been in left field, but the rest WILL be good [​IMG] now should i let the hens soak or chill in the fridge in the future?

@ ChickieBooBoo and justbugged you are right it's not hard really, I can understand the nervousness and emotions, I was the first time i skinned something. But i wasn't so much nervous as i was skeptical, most everyone i talked to said they never heard of skinning. But after i seen him do the first one I kinda pushed him out of the way lol

@ SteveH YES IT DOES!!!!

And thank you to everyone else, now it has me thinking towards the spring and what to order that will be tasty lol

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have done it many times and the first one always makes me sad. And if you let your imagination get away on you it will make it a lot more difficult then it has to be.

10. blueid10

blueid10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    We have been killing our own chickins for two or three years now ( there's always 5 broilers left after the sale at the end of fair) and since most of the flavor is actually in the skin, we perfer not to skin them. It's a little more time-consuming, but easy and well worth the trouble! As for the huge pot, we just picked up a big soup pot at WAL-MART! (yes, even good old WAL-MART is guilty [​IMG]) We filled it up with water almost boiling, but not quite. Dunk them into it, swish them around for about 5-10 secons so they don't cook, and pluck the feathers out. Go against the grain, and pluck the wing tips and tail first, or any big, tough feathers. Hope this helps![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by