First time laying

Holiwwod

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 30, 2021
Hello I have some Pekin ducks that I got in April. She laid her first two eggs today just in the duck yard on the ground. I didn’t know what age they were supposed to start laying and I don’t know if I’m supposed to take them inside or leave them there for them to sit so I can start raising baby ducklings. Or is it just too early for her to start even trying to sit at all?

Attachments

• A1D515AB-F648-4789-9279-454DE449B047.jpeg
    A1D515AB-F648-4789-9279-454DE449B047.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Congrats on your first eggs! It is too early for them to start raising ducks. Some people recommend waiting till they are over a year old before letting them raise ducklings. But they are just starting to lay and getting all the kinks out.

Pekins also are not the most broody ducks. You may get her to brood over eggs, but they are less likely than other breeds. You might have better luck with an incubator if you choose to raise ducklings. You can always take the eggs in and eat them. I personally don't want to hatch ducklings. I don't have a plan for all the extra drakes. So I always take the eggs from my ducks.

My Campbells are 16 weeks old. this morning I had a small egg, with a thin shell. I wondered if it was Lucy or Lacy.
Then this afternoon, Lucy was in one of the "pools" & didn't get out when I came in the pen.
When I changed the water at 5 pm. There was some yoke, no shell laying in the bottom of the pool.
So I guess it's Lucy doing the laying.
My question is... Should I start feeding layer pellets? They are with my Runners, who are a few days over 8 weeks.
Or should I put out some oyster shell, maybe just scattered on the ground? Or should I discard her eggs & hope everyone catches up, more?
I need the wisdom of our wonderful duck savvy sages to help out.
Thanks!
Bev

My Campbells are 16 weeks old. this morning I had a small egg, with a thin shell. I wondered if it was Lucy or Lacy.
Then this afternoon, Lucy was in one of the "pools" & didn't get out when I came in the pen.
When I changed the water at 5 pm. There was some yoke, no shell laying in the bottom of the pool.
So I guess it's Lucy doing the laying.
My question is... Should I start feeding layer pellets? They are with my Runners, who are a few days over 8 weeks.
Or should I put out some oyster shell, maybe just scattered on the ground? Or should I discard her eggs & hope everyone catches up, more?
I need the wisdom of our wonderful duck savvy sages to help out.
Thanks!
Bev
Your 8 week old ducks cannot have layer feed till they start laying.

You will want to have oyster shells on the side. You can sprinkle it on the ground to get them interested, but most of us keep it in a tray for them to take as they need it. You may need to use treats in the tray to get them to notice it the first time.

I have a Pekin who will not eat her oyster shells and feed her separately only in the morning with some layer feed.

Usually it takes a bit for ducks to work out the kinks of laying. If she really has trouble laying eggs, you can give her calcium gluconate. It is found at TSC

Your 8 week old ducks cannot have layer feed till they start laying.

You will want to have oyster shells on the side. You can sprinkle it on the ground to get them interested, but most of us keep it in a tray for them to take as they need it. You may need to use treats in the tray to get them to notice it the first time.

I have a Pekin who will not eat her oyster shells and feed her separately only in the morning with some layer feed.

Usually it takes a bit for ducks to work out the kinks of laying. If she really has trouble laying eggs, you can give her calcium gluconate. It is found at TSC
Going to TS today. I will get the oyster shell. And look at the calcium gluconate.
Will it hurt my Runners if they eat some of the oyster shells?

Going to TS today. I will get the oyster shell. And look at the calcium gluconate.
Will it hurt my Runners if they eat some of the oyster shells?
If they have a little bit it won't hurt them. Having high amounts of calcium consistently is a problem. They may try the oyster shells, but they are usually good about knowing they don't need the calcium. I wouldn't worry unless you see them eating it all the time. I usually have a more difficult time getting new layers to start eating oyster shells. I have yet to see young ducks eat them.

If they have a little bit it won't hurt them. Having high amounts of calcium consistently is a problem. They may try the oyster shells, but they are usually good about knowing they don't need the calcium. I wouldn't worry unless you see them eating it all the time. I usually have a more difficult time getting new layers to start eating oyster shells. I have yet to see young ducks eat them.
Thank you so much. went to Ts & got the shell. Just scattered a little on the ground in a few places. And as you said, the Runners weren't interested, but the Campbells were.
I really appreciate your help. BYC has been a life saver for me. I'm a new Duck owner. It was my dream to have them when I retired. But didn't have a clue how to raise a healthy happy flock.

Thank you so much. went to Ts & got the shell. Just scattered a little on the ground in a few places. And as you said, the Runners weren't interested, but the Campbells were.
I really appreciate your help. BYC has been a life saver for me. I'm a new Duck owner. It was my dream to have them when I retired. But didn't have a clue how to raise a healthy happy flock.
No problem. You can prepare a lot for ducks and still have loads to learn. Ducks are one of those animals you need to just take the dive and learn the rest as you go. Best of luck with your flock! If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom