First time mamma hen

eleaserek

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2015
Billings, MT
So my partridge rock successfully hatched two little chicks! Yay! Now I’m wondering, how long should I wait until I introduce the little family back in with my other hens?

Right now they have a dog crate and small enclosed area in the storage half of my coop. So they are Neighbors, can see and hear each other right now. But I’m worried that the other hens are going to possibly hurt the chicks? They are just a couple days old right now. It’s my first time with a broody momma, so I just don’t want to mess things up!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 7AB96A19-1DCB-4B6B-9BDA-0EDE5E23AFB7.jpeg
    7AB96A19-1DCB-4B6B-9BDA-0EDE5E23AFB7.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 50
I'd wait for about a week or so, then remove the barrier....
...leaving the crate accessible as a shelter.
Usually the mama has more trouble than the chicks,
she's got to reestablish her place in the pecking order.
Knowing more about your flock and coop....
your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
.....might help garner more specific suggestions.

Usually other chickens are pretty mindful of a mother and her chicks and will leave them alone. With my situation, I was afraid the other chickens wouldn't take kindly to the chicks but I think they figured out that they belonged to momma hen (and not intruders) and just left them alone.

We gave 7 chicks to a broody in Sept. Mom and chicks in separate brooder inside the barn with access to outdoors during the day and a 3 ft fence that divided that smaller area from the rest of the run. After a week or so, we moved the fence to allow some intermingling...and pretty much momma hen got very riled up with others coming into their area, and she was spending her time defending her chicks rather than warming them, etc. So we kept the fence for a few more weeks (with occasional attempts at mingling) and as momma was getting more "normal" hormonally the intermingling finally worked. The rest of the flock left the chicks alone, for the most part....but now that they are integrated and sleeping in coop, most of them are bottom of the pecking order!

I had chickens kill chicks that escaped a brooder... the very same chickens would not touch chicks that wandered through the fence into their run even though mama bird could not fit through the fence herself. Something keeps them from attacking a baby bird from a broody chick.

Thank you for repying! I’ve got 9 other hens, ranging in age from almost 4 years to 8 months. The coop is 7ft x 8ft and the run is probably three times that. I think I’ll let them be for now, but you have set my mind at ease! I’m glad to hear the rest of the flock typically responds better to chicks with a broody. Each time I’ve introduced new pullets it’s been stressful!!
I’ve included some pics, in case that changes anyone’s option on the matter! Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 16
I'd turn the crate(and feed and water) around so everyone has a better view of each another. Put the mama/chick feed and water right next to the barrier between the two areas. Then open that door between a week or two after hatch.

Back
Top Bottom