Hatching
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Hi all,

this is the first time an egg hatched..
the little baby (now 5 hours old) is placed under an infra-red light
smile.png

I know the baby should be quiet when its happy,
but the temperature in his box varries from 36 to 39, (depending on the location where the chicks at,
yet he doesnt look for the place he likes best and just keeps peeping
sad.png

do i have the temperature to hot?
or is it just missing a "mother" ?

note that he doesnt go to the warmest place inside his little area.
(another egg should be hatching any minute now)

thnx for your time up front
smile.png

Last edited:
It is lonely!!

Do you have other eggs hatching? If not, I'd seriously consider making a trip to the feed store and getting it some buddies. Chicks don't do well by themselves AT ALL. I had a hatch where I only got 2 chicks, and they peeped, LOUDLY, all the time. I got them some brooder-mates, and the peeping stopped. A temporary fix can be a stuffed animal or two, and even a feather duster will help.

thnx
smile.png

ill put in some key-chain cuddly toys in there
i only got 1 egg hatching now... and can't get any chicks here fast (if at all).

it's very restless right now...
would it be wise to put in one of my hen's? (wo might or might not be the mother)

Last edited:
If you have a hen that is broody, or has been a mother before, you might try slipping the chick under her at night. She'll be much more likely to think it's her own when she wakes up in the morning. I would be there to supervise, though -- I'd hate for her to kick it out and have it die.

thats no go then..

I put in all the mirrors i could find (about 5 mirrors)... he seems to enjoy that but i doubt it's enough.
hopefully the 2nd will come soon...

thnx for your help
smile.png

in i'm going to try and find some youngsters to put with them.
(though that's going to be hard here)

Where are you located? It seems that there are BYCers everywhere, and I'll bet someone has some chicks you could buy.

what's about the minimum clutch you need?
3 to 4?
the baby has become a bit calmer since the mirrors are in place...

also seems to turn quiet when he hears my voice
smile.png

since this is the 1st time i've used this hatching machien i didnt put in to many eggs,
next time i'll triple the amount of eggs.

1 last question:

i got this hatching machine,
product_thumb.php

could i use this as a place to raise the chicks in for the 1st and maybe 2nd week?
it would be easier to regulate the temperatur in this thing.
(also safer, i'm afraid the infra red light is going to set my house on fire someday...)

ps: the last chick has hatched.. this very first round ever i had a 100% hatching rate..... didn't expect that and i must say i'm pleasently surprised
smile.png
(i had some other eggs in there before.. not in the chicken family who moved to their parents just before hatching)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom