First time Quail hatching!

I just discovered one of them has club foot. Is it too late to fix it? I tried to tape it, but it seems to bother it when I try to straighten out the toes. I was thinking of just making it part of the meat group, but would hate to butcher it if it turns out to be female.

I just discovered one of them has club foot. Is it too late to fix it? I tried to tape it, but it seems to bother it when I try to straighten out the toes. I was thinking of just making it part of the meat group, but would hate to butcher it if it turns out to be female.
I find that the toes usually straighten out on their own if you give them a day or two.
How back is it curled?
Can you post a picture?

This is my club foot. It’s more side ways than back, bit doesn’t seem to be improving on its own. When I tried to tape it, it seems like the ankle is extremely stiff and all I am able to do is spread out the toes, and then the foot is toes down and sideways. It is one of the largest chicks I have and seems to get around just fine at the moment, but I’m worried about when I move them into the hutch and onto wire about it developing sores.

Attachments

• 68CCA05E-8094-4CE5-94E7-3243406A0050.jpeg
    68CCA05E-8094-4CE5-94E7-3243406A0050.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 8776B6E8-D70E-4FFD-BF6E-19A5A47892C7.jpeg
    8776B6E8-D70E-4FFD-BF6E-19A5A47892C7.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 17
This is my club foot. It’s more side ways than back, bit doesn’t seem to be improving on its own. When I tried to tape it, it seems like the ankle is extremely stiff and all I am able to do is spread out the toes, and then the foot is toes down and sideways. It is one of the largest chicks I have and seems to get around just fine at the moment, but I’m worried about when I move them into the hutch and onto wire about it developing sores.
That one will never straighten out, at least that has been my experience with a "club" foot chick. Even if caught at a few hours old, taping, shoes, or wood splints don't help, because the bones won't bend to their normal position, they will break if you try to position them correctly. It will probably get along fine, I have a couple that do fine, it has more of a psychological effect on me than any physical impairment on the bird.
I've learned to cull them when they hatch that way instead of having a crippled bird, they get picked on and harrassed more than a normal bird.
This along with other deformities that occur is purely a decision of your own to cull or not to cull....and it is a hard one to make.
Just decide what's best for the bird and yourself.

I find that the toes usually straighten out on their own if you give them a day or two.
How back is it curled?
Can you post a picture?

You were right! It took a bit longer than a few days, but they are now nice straight toes! And it’s still one of my largest birds! Now I just have to fix one with wry neck and bulk up a few runts! Hopefully I can get them up to size by next weekend when I’m planning on putting them in the hutch! The one with wry neck I have another post on because at the time I wasn’t sure if that’s what it was, but I’m sure now. He is doing better than he was last week, but he still does some wierd stuff, like uncontrolably pecks when eating. It’s like when he gets started he can’t stop, and seems to only stop when he is completely exhausted. It’s kinda wierd. I have been giving him selenium, pumpkin, and nutridrench. He has finally started growing pin feathers. He is a little more than half the size of the next smallest bird. He is so tiny!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 10
You were right! It took a bit longer than a few days, but they are now nice straight toes! And it’s still one of my largest birds! Now I just have to fix one with wry neck and bulk up a few runts! Hopefully I can get them up to size by next weekend when I’m planning on putting them in the hutch! The one with wry neck I have another post on because at the time I wasn’t sure if that’s what it was, but I’m sure now. He is doing better than he was last week, but he still does some wierd stuff, like uncontrolably pecks when eating. It’s like when he gets started he can’t stop, and seems to only stop when he is completely exhausted. It’s kinda wierd. I have been giving him selenium, pumpkin, and nutridrench. He has finally started growing pin feathers. He is a little more than half the size of the next smallest bird. He is so tiny!
Glad that it's clubbed foot straighten out. Mine never did. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom