First time question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThePigeonKid, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Hello, my Barred Rock hen layed 3 or 4 fertile eggs today [​IMG], and I was wondering how many eggs I should be expecting?
    I am going to let her care for them, and she is in the coop with the rest of the chickens.

I just want any advice that you guys can give me! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    One hen layed all those eggs today? They don't lay but 1 a day. Is it that she just sitting on the eggs, gettiong ready to set?

3. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:For every hen, you should get one from them every day.
    If you are gona let her care for them, make sure its not cold inside the coop, beacause the eggs will freeze and break.
    If its too cold, collect the eggs and add something fake like an egg to fool her, when she is done laying, she will go and sit on her nest, this is when you could bring back all the eggs you collected from her eariler and replace the fake with the good. from then on, it will only take 21days untill they hatch.

Dont feed her to much feed layer, because she will just keep on laying eggs and wont want to sit on it.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is she broody??

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Chickens become broody because of hormones, not eggs, and not feed. Your chicken didn't lay 4 eggs in one day. She might be saving up a clutch to set and hatch, or you might have 4 laying, or you might have missed an egg or two in recent days.

Here's a good article on dealing with broodies: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by