First Time raising baby chicks (I am sure you get that a lot on here)

bkingaa

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
We just started with our first batch of 6 baby pullets that we are planning to raise to lay eggs. I like to do a lot of reading and research to ensure we have the highest probability of success. As it stands right now we have them in a brooder using pine shavings for the flooring with a layer of newspaper underneath. We have the heat lamp and thermometer all set up and they have plenty of room to move away from the heated area if they get hot. The type of crumble we bought is not medicated and we are keeping the food and water clean. I have put my 8 year daughter in charge of keeping an eye on them and she has been instructed to always wash her hands before and after handling them. I have been reading that we should put some medicine in their water to prevent sickness. This is what leads me to two questions of advice from the group. What medicines are suggested and what types of diseases are common among baby chicks and most importantly advice on spotting symptoms so we can make adjustments. They are all fine now but we want to keep them that way. We are excited to join this forum

Thanks

Bill

hello and....
welcome-byc.gif
hope you like it.
i really don't know of any medians, but i do believe they will do fine

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If you are feeding the chicks medicated starter you don't have to put medicine in their water as well, but you can add a splash of unfiltered ACV (apple cider vinegar). I believe Braggs is the brand of choice in the US. There are a few vaccinations available for chicks. Before you vaccinate them for anything ask the breeder you bought them from if they vaccinated them. Some do, some don't. Here's more info on vaccinations:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

Also, if you haven't already, look at our Learning Center for more on raising chicks, keeping the flock healthy etc.

Welcome to BYC. Coccidiosis is one of the most common diseases of chicks - do a search for symptoms and treatments. Chances are that your chicks will be fine -

Thanks for the great advice, I just picked up some medicated crumble today and will feed them that. I will try that vinegar idea and keep an eye on them Thanks again for the welcomes and advice

Back
Top Bottom