First time raising chicks, lost one today

Youā€™re right. He was loved. But whenever I lose a baby I feel like there was more I could have done. Especially with the sick ones.

We all feel that way. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's time to focus on and enjoy the babies you still have.

We all feel that way. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's time to focus on and enjoy the babies you still have.
Wow that hit me hard. I almost cried. I agree with you donā€™t get me wrong. The ones I have need my attention but those ā€œwhat ifā€™sā€ā€¦ ugh. The fact that Iā€™m not alone in feeling like this is what gets me I guess. I hear from so many farmers around me that death is part of farming, I know it is, but they make is seem so easy to get over it. Like a death on their farm is just another day. Then Iā€™m over here sad about one chick that had less of a chance because it was already sick.

Wow that hit me hard. I almost cried. I agree with you donā€™t get me wrong. The ones I have need my attention but those ā€œwhat ifā€™sā€ā€¦ ugh. The fact that Iā€™m not alone in feeling like this is what gets me I guess. I hear from so many farmers around me that death is part of farming, I know it is, but they make is seem so easy to get over it. Like a death on their farm is just another day. Then Iā€™m over here sad about one chick that had less of a chance because it was already sick.
Iā€™m with you - the what-ifs are really sucky. What if I did xyz differently and ....? But theyā€™re gone, we did what we could and what we thought was right, and they are no longer suffering in any way, and that is a comfort. Itā€™s ok to be sad about losing them - Iā€™m not a farmer and even if I was the loss of little animals would still be sad for me.

Iā€™ve been spending more time with the other two chicks I have and they are getting very used to me holding them. They are very sweet and itā€™s definitely helping ease the pain. I think theyā€™re figuring out that feather scritches are good things, and that my shoulder is a fun place to sit.

Hugs to you, take care of yourself today!

I know. I've been there too, we all have. It is absolutely OK to mourn the ones we lose. To feel sad and full of guilt and regret is normal and natural. Then we have to pick ourselves up and get on with looking after the rest. That's not a bad thing, just the reality. I really wasn't dismissing your feelings. I meant for you to be kind to yourself because you did all you could, you cared and loved, and that is all you could do.

I still think about the ones I lost, especially the 'special care' chicks who didn't make it. Please take comfort in the fact that you gave your best shot and despite that, it just wasn't meant to be.

@mtnsbeyondmtns thank you. I so appreciate your kind words. Iā€™m spending more time with my other wry neck chick. Heā€™s almost 9 weeks and developed it a week ago. I just hope Iā€™m doing right by him too.

@Chicalina I didnā€™t think you were dismissing my feelings. Your words just resounded with me. I knew I had to move on but in the moment I was just stuck. I try so hard not to get my hopes up because it hurts more when they die. The special chicks are really the worst.

So many people tell me ā€œtheyā€™re just chickens. Theyā€™re going to die. Donā€™t name them. Donā€™t get attached.ā€ Ugh. Even my sister who keeps chickens says that. Like their lives donā€™t matter because theyā€™re a chicken. I believe everyoneā€™s life matters. Sounds silly to some people but I believe even bugs and plants matter. More than just a necessity.

@mtnsbeyondmtns thank you. I so appreciate your kind words. Iā€™m spending more time with my other wry neck chick. Heā€™s almost 9 weeks and developed it a week ago. I just hope Iā€™m doing right by him too.

@Chicalina I didnā€™t think you were dismissing my feelings. Your words just resounded with me. I knew I had to move on but in the moment I was just stuck. I try so hard not to get my hopes up because it hurts more when they die. The special chicks are really the worst.

So many people tell me ā€œtheyā€™re just chickens. Theyā€™re going to die. Donā€™t name them. Donā€™t get attached.ā€ Ugh. Even my sister who keeps chickens says that. Like their lives donā€™t matter because theyā€™re a chicken. I believe everyoneā€™s life matters. Sounds silly to some people but I believe even bugs and plants matter. More than just a necessity.

Pets are pets. Doesn't matter if its a dog or cat or chicken. They touch our hearts in ways that other humans cannot.

Sending giant hugs to you. šŸ’•

Back
Top Bottom