First time raising for meat

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
So this year will be our first year with meat birds. When my Orpington cockerels were about 8 weeks old, I separated them out and started them on a meat bird feed. I have just the four cockerels, I was pretty thankful that most of my hatch were pullets but I know a lot of those who raise meat birds usually raise them in larger numbers. We will also be culling our rooster and five of our oldest hens in the fall for stew-meat, have never culled before but it looks like this year we'll be doing quite a bit of it.

I've tried to read up on meat birds, the butchering process, and getting all the tools ready. My four cockerels are getting close to 13 weeks old. They are pretty big, outgrowing all the pullets, but still only about half the size of the full-grown rooster. I was thinking that sometime this month would work? I've read that meat birds are typically processed at around 10 weeks or so, but since BO birds are dual-purpose it meant they would take a bit longer. Does anyone have experience with Buff Opringtons as meat birds?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I've butchered some BO roos at about 5 or 6 months and they were great friers. I think they were about 5 or 6 lbs carcass weight at that age if I remember correctly. Watch lots of youtube videos before butchering and realize that an older dual purpose is going to a be a little tougher to work with than a 6 or 8 weeks old cornish x. Joel Salatin has a couple really good video demonstrations on youtube that might be really helpful. Dual purpose cockrels at around the 6 month age are some of my favorite eating. Super flavorful.

I've butchered some BO roos at about 5 or 6 months and they were great friers. I think they were about 5 or 6 lbs carcass weight at that age if I remember correctly. Watch lots of youtube videos before butchering and realize that an older dual purpose is going to a be a little tougher to work with than a 6 or 8 weeks old cornish x. Joel Salatin has a couple really good video demonstrations on youtube that might be really helpful. Dual purpose cockrels at around the 6 month age are some of my favorite eating. Super flavorful.

Thank you for the advice! I'll look up those videos now. Super flavorful you say? Fingers crossed my birds turn out that way

I am processing my Marans Roos this weekend they will be roughly 16wks.
Remember when they crow they are ready to go.

Oo, good advice. I think my neighbors hate me enough with 1 crowing rooster, let alone 4 more.

There is no set time. We are each so unique with our conditions and personal preferences that there can't be. If crowing is a problem for you, you just discovered one of your criteria. It is not one of mine.

Once the cockerels hit puberty the hormones can start to flavor the meat. Some of us like that, some used to the Cornish X they get from the store that are butchered well before puberty don't. As any chicken ages the meat texture increases. Pullets are pretty slow about that, once puberty hits the cockerels can accelerate that process. And the connective tissue that holds the skin on the carcass or joints together gets stronger. It can be really noticeable if you skin instead of pluck. I skin mine and usually butcher the cockerels between 16 and 23 weeks of age, that connective tissue difference is pretty noticeable.

The differences in texture is often what turns people off if they are used to the Cornish X. You can cook any chicken of any age and get a great meal, but you might need to adjust your cooking method based on age. If you try something and don't like it, change your cooking method. If texture is the problem use a slower, moister method. If it is flavor, use more herbs and spices. Just be flexible. This applies to Buff Orps as much as any other dual purpose breed.

When I have cockerels living as part of a flock, I butcher when they start to make a nuisance of themselves with the hens. That typically happens between 13 and 16 weeks of age. They aren't exactly super meaty at that age, but still tender.

I've only butchered 2 orpington cockerels. One, was butchered at 20 weeks and dressed out at 4 1/2 lbs. I used the meat to make sausage (which was delicious), but I can't say how tender the meat would have been if cooked whole. The second, was a lavender orpington, mixed with naked neck. Butchered at 16 weeks, 3.75 lbs. Brined and roasted and still tender enough for me to enjoy, but definitely more texture than a supermarket chicken.

If this is your first time with eating heritage birds, I might suggest butchering one at around 13 weeks, so you get a sense of what the dressed weight at that age is, and how you like the texture and flavor. It's a bit of a process to discover what to expect and what you like in eating heritage birds.

I used to have Orpingtons, and as already mentioned timing is a personal thing. Most of my Orpington cockerels went up to 6 months because they were pretty mellow and not crowing too much for my neighbors. I like to slow roast them with the skin on, like you would cook chuck roast. They were 3-4 pounds at that age. Some little cross-bred Sultan-Orpington mixes were so annoying that they were on the grill @ 10 weeks. Small, ~ 1 pound if I recall correctly. One per person. Since you have some older birds to do also, right now sounds like a good time for those 4 Orpingtons! (Except it is so darn hot)! I cook old roosters & hens in the pressure cooker and pick the meat off -- I consider that the best soup! :drool

There is no set time. We are each so unique with our conditions and personal preferences that there can't be. If crowing is a problem for you, you just discovered one of your criteria. It is not one of mine.

Once the cockerels hit puberty the hormones can start to flavor the meat. Some of us like that, some used to the Cornish X they get from the store that are butchered well before puberty don't. As any chicken ages the meat texture increases. Pullets are pretty slow about that, once puberty hits the cockerels can accelerate that process. And the connective tissue that holds the skin on the carcass or joints together gets stronger. It can be really noticeable if you skin instead of pluck. I skin mine and usually butcher the cockerels between 16 and 23 weeks of age, that connective tissue difference is pretty noticeable.

The differences in texture is often what turns people off if they are used to the Cornish X. You can cook any chicken of any age and get a great meal, but you might need to adjust your cooking method based on age. If you try something and don't like it, change your cooking method. If texture is the problem use a slower, moister method. If it is flavor, use more herbs and spices. Just be flexible. This applies to Buff Orps as much as any other dual purpose breed.

At what age are they best suited for the slow cooker and rotisserie oven?

By slow cooker do you mean crock pot?

We all have different tastes and preferences, those can vary a lot. I don't use a rotisserie oven, know nothing about them. I use my crock pot to make broth, usually not to cook chicken for the table. Some people do though.

I just can't help you with those questions.

At what age are they best suited for the slow cooker and rotisserie oven?
When they are a little too old for BBQ or frying, Say older than 14-16 weeks, all day in the crock pot is a good way to cook them. I have never done a home-grown chicken in a rotisserie oven, only a store bought bird on my BBQ rotisserie. that would be a 6 to 8 week old bird.

Back
Top Bottom