First time rooster owner!

Oh no, my chickens love it. She definitely doesn’t chase them around to taunt them or anything. They always squat down for her and are super friendly when she holds them. She’ll sit on a chair and sit with one for 10 minutes. It won’t move, it’s completely relaxed. She loves to love on them and they really do enjoy it (possibly because they know she has snacks 🤣). She’s very respectful, she’s just a toddler and is a free spirit, that’s all. She fills their feed, water, helps keep the run clean. She’s very involved with them and I’m unsure if the rooster would be accepting of that like the hens are
Thats wonderful! I love that.

Ok all these other folks here are being a little bit of alarmists. If you still have your rooster, do not fret. Listen up. I have a rooster just like yours that I've had for a couple years. He's the sweetest boy you ever met. He's not aggressive to anyone, including my small niece, and I can handle him and let my guests pet him without worry. He is amazing to the other hens too and takes good care of them. A proper gentlemen. When you have a small child like yours, there are a few additional things you need to be cautious of however.
1. Never, EVER let your child chase the rooster. Don't let them taunt the rooster in any way. Chasing and taunting are the types of behaviors that trigger defensive behavior in roosters. Perfectly good roosters will "suddenly" go aggressive from a small child pursuing them. So teach your child to be respectful of the rooster. They may pet the rooster gently when he approaches on his own, feed the rooster from their hands, give him treats, etc. This will help you and your child earn the roosters trust and build a good report with him.

2. If your rooster starts to show signs of aggression towards you, you may need to remind him who his in charge. Chickens work off pecking order, and he should view you as the top of it. You want him to think you are a bigger and stronger dominant rooster to him. A way you can do this (you, not your child) is by capturing him when he's being angsty, (immediate correction is preferred. Do NOT run from him, he will think he's won) once you have captured him, put him in a submissive pose. Put one hand on his back firmly and put him on the ground with his belly touching the ground. Then grab his head, and press his beak into the ground and hold him there. He will probably struggle for a minute, but you aren't hurting him. You hold him like this until his body relaxes. That is submission. Then let him go. Repeat as needed. It echos the behavior a rooster would show another rooster to put them in their place. don't be afraid of him. He's little, he doesn't have spurs yet. He can't hurt you any more than a small bite. Get him to be a good boy while he's young and he will likely stay a good boy.

3. Him mounting the hens is normal. It's mating behavior. Pulling the feathers on the back of the neck is normal too, it's how he keeps his balance.

Hope this helps!
I believe and agree with this advice. I just started a new flock This past April, and find myself with a handsome rooster that has become
Ok all these other folks here are being a little bit of alarmists. If you still have your rooster, do not fret. Listen up. I have a rooster just like yours that I've had for a couple years. He's the sweetest boy you ever met. He's not aggressive to anyone, including my small niece, and I can handle him and let my guests pet him without worry. He is amazing to the other hens too and takes good care of them. A proper gentlemen. When you have a small child like yours, there are a few additional things you need to be cautious of however.
1. Never, EVER let your child chase the rooster. Don't let them taunt the rooster in any way. Chasing and taunting are the types of behaviors that trigger defensive behavior in roosters. Perfectly good roosters will "suddenly" go aggressive from a small child pursuing them. So teach your child to be respectful of the rooster. They may pet the rooster gently when he approaches on his own, feed the rooster from their hands, give him treats, etc. This will help you and your child earn the roosters trust and build a good report with him.

2. If your rooster starts to show signs of aggression towards you, you may need to remind him who his in charge. Chickens work off pecking order, and he should view you as the top of it. You want him to think you are a bigger and stronger dominant rooster to him. A way you can do this (you, not your child) is by capturing him when he's being angsty, (immediate correction is preferred. Do NOT run from him, he will think he's won) once you have captured him, put him in a submissive pose. Put one hand on his back firmly and put him on the ground with his belly touching the ground. Then grab his head, and press his beak into the ground and hold him there. He will probably struggle for a minute, but you aren't hurting him. You hold him like this until his body relaxes. That is submission. Then let him go. Repeat as needed. It echos the behavior a rooster would show another rooster to put them in their place. don't be afraid of him. He's little, he doesn't have spurs yet. He can't hurt you any more than a small bite. Get him to be a good boy while he's young and he will likely stay a good boy.

3. Him mounting the hens is normal. It's mating behavior. Pulling the feathers on the back of the neck is normal too, it's how he keeps his balance.

Hope this helps!
I sympathize with your predicament @Erwilcox.
@Katakornchicks, I got 13 pullets and one grew up to be a rooster. When he was younger I handled him regularly, and he was very sweet. When he feathered out and went out to the coop, I was down in the area with him and the hens all the time, no problem. However, when it became evident that 'she was a he', handling became less and less. One day when I was sitting on the bench handling his hens he decided to sneak behind me and attack. I know he just doesn't want to share. I stood my ground and backed him up. The next time, he attacked from behind when I was changing out food, I was successful in cornering him and catching him. I held him down and he submitted in less than 30 seconds. So I don't consider him a lost cause at this point. That was a couple months ago. He is so handsome, smart and a good protector. He is good with his hens. But I no longer feel comfortable to go in and hang out with my hens. I miss my time with the hens, as many are very friendly and enjoy sitting in my lap. Roo is now an 8 month old Australorp. His spurs are in and he has become progressively more aggressive. I would really like to be able to keep him, but want to know if it is possible to tame him so he stops attacking me. I do have to defend myself, and fear that has made his aggression worse. I am not fast enough to catch him on my own as I once did to hold him down until he calms down, or carry him around to hopefully tame him.
I have read so many different ideas on here so it is confusing.

I would like to believe it is possible to tame him, as he doesn't always attack and he only attacks with his feet; he is not a pecker.
Up until the weather changed, if I faced him and walked toward him he would back down, but now that I am having to bundle up a bit, I think he is perceiving me as more threatening and will not back down. Any tips ways to catch him. I am 68 years old, and just not as fast and agile as I once was.
Anyone reading this response, I am open to all suggestions.

I believe and agree with this advice. I just started a new flock This past April, and find myself with a handsome rooster that has become

I sympathize with your predicament @Erwilcox.
@Katakornchicks, I got 13 pullets and one grew up to be a rooster. When he was younger I handled him regularly, and he was very sweet. When he feathered out and went out to the coop, I was down in the area with him and the hens all the time, no problem. However, when it became evident that 'she was a he', handling became less and less. One day when I was sitting on the bench handling his hens he decided to sneak behind me and attack. I know he just doesn't want to share. I stood my ground and backed him up. The next time, he attacked from behind when I was changing out food, I was successful in cornering him and catching him. I held him down and he submitted in less than 30 seconds. So I don't consider him a lost cause at this point. That was a couple months ago. He is so handsome, smart and a good protector. He is good with his hens. But I no longer feel comfortable to go in and hang out with my hens. I miss my time with the hens, as many are very friendly and enjoy sitting in my lap. Roo is now an 8 month old Australorp. His spurs are in and he has become progressively more aggressive. I would really like to be able to keep him, but want to know if it is possible to tame him so he stops attacking me. I do have to defend myself, and fear that has made his aggression worse. I am not fast enough to catch him on my own as I once did to hold him down until he calms down, or carry him around to hopefully tame him.
I have read so many different ideas on here so it is confusing.

I would like to believe it is possible to tame him, as he doesn't always attack and he only attacks with his feet; he is not a pecker.
Up until the weather changed, if I faced him and walked toward him he would back down, but now that I am having to bundle up a bit, I think he is perceiving me as more threatening and will not back down. Any tips ways to catch him. I am 68 years old, and just not as fast and agile as I once was.
Anyone reading this response, I am open to all suggestions.
Hmmm. That is a tough one. Maybe you could buy him some spur covers for a bit since that's his main method of attack? That way you don't have to fear him and he will begin to realize he can't do anything. I would also try hand feeding him first, and letting him distribute any snacks or treats you give to his hens. That way he views you not as competition, but like you are working together. Chickens view giving each other food as a form of trust and protection carried out by someone higher up on the pecking order; (mothers feed their chicks, and roosters feed their hens) if you feed him directly with your hands, and let him feed the he's, you place yourself above him, but in a friendly non-threatening way.

Hmmm. That is a tough one. Maybe you could buy him some spur covers for a bit since that's his main method of attack? That way you don't have to fear him and he will begin to realize he can't do anything. I would also try hand feeding him first, and letting him distribute any snacks or treats you give to his hens. That way he views you not as competition, but like you are working together. Chickens view giving each other food as a form of trust and protection carried out by someone higher up on the pecking order; (mothers feed their chicks, and roosters feed their hens) if you feed him directly with your hands, and let him feed the he's, you place yourself above him, but in a friendly non-threatening way.
I'll give it a try. I imagine it will take time to get him to feed from my hand. He always lets his hens go first.

do you have treats you could try using those if he wont come up to you throw them to him maybe dont try handling the hens when your giving treats out so he can focus on the positive and not what he doesent want and slowy pet than hold the hends for a few seconds and longer each time I am not sure that will help my rooster and your rooster are probaly diffrent but when I tamed myn he was aggresive to

I'll give it a try. I imagine it will take time to get him to feed from my hand. He always lets his hens go first.
I was given this link to this article. It helped me A LOT. Best for understanding your rooster then any I have read.
I hope this helps you. My rooster eats out of my hand and now seems to not mind my time with the girls. He looks for me and comes running over if he hears my voice. He even hangs around and gets close as well. He has to be put first when you hand out treats. He used to go after the hen that sat in my lap, but he doesn't do that anymore. You will understand if you read this. Its absolutely the best!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Still too soon. They get more ornery as they mature. Once the hormones get fully ramped up, you will see how his personality is. Just be careful and don't give him an inch.
Not my experience at all; They mellow as they mature, due to the decline of testosterone.
It’s the puberty stage that’s rough on everyone, including the cockerel.

Hi!

I have a 14 week old rooster (who was supposed to be a hen). I have never owned a rooster, plus I’m fairly new to owning chickens so I’m still learning.

I have 11 hens. They all free range with my dogs; my two year old daughter spends all day chasing and picking them up.

This rooster seems to be friendly. He runs away from me when I try to pick him up, but when I’m able to, he’s super sweet and cuddly. He’ll eat out of my hand and sleep in my lap.

I would love to keep him to be a flock protector, but I’m incredibly nervous about my two year old around him. If he is not aggressive now, is there a chance that he will get aggressive? Does their true behavior show at 14 weeks? He seems nice to the other chickens.. He will Mount them and bite their neck feathers but I’m assuming he’s just asserting his dominance?

I would hate for my kids to get hurt by him. How do you know if you have a nice rooster? Is it too soon to tell?
You’re doing great!! You’re seeking information, advice and assistance. — Just be careful with the advice part, you may get ppl that are way too comfortable with culling when you may not be, which could be very hard to deal with…especially if you use FB groups for advice as well. — I highly recommend the FB Group “Rooster Allies” — This group of ppl are very knowledgeable about roosters, as many group members have kept them for years & years. They have the real world experiences to share, not just textbook knowledge…

Good Luck!! 🍀👍🏼
You can always msg me if you need to chat, as I love to talk Rooster things… LOL!😉

I was given this link to this article. It helped me A LOT. Best for understanding your rooster then any I have read.
I hope this helps you. My rooster eats out of my hand and now seems to not mind my time with the girls. He looks for me and comes running over if he hears my voice. He even hangs around and gets close as well. He has to be put first when you hand out treats. He used to go after the hen that sat in my lap, but he doesn't do that anymore. You will understand if you read this. Its absolutely the best!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
This article is a good one too!
👍🏼♥️🤗

https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/04/28/understanding-responding-to-rooster-behaviour/

I like this paragraph in particular—
Quote:
The most problematic period of hormone overdrive is likely puberty which occurs for young cockerels from 3-4 months up to about a year of age. This period also coincides with when most first report that their ‘sweet’ boy has become ‘mean’. This, however, is an erroneous interpretation of what is happening. When hormones enter the picture, that baby bird who was only concerned with exploring and playing suddenly realizes he has a very important job to do. He is destined to be a protector, but he doesn’t know yet what he is supposed to protect against. What follows is often a series of bad guesses, some understandable, some downright laughable. I once watched one of our young boys let out a predator screech at a butterfly as it flew past. It’s not uncommon for that same confusion to come out in ways that are inconvenient, and sometimes downright painful, for the keeper.”

Last edited:
This was super helpful, thank you! We ended up finding a good home for this sweet boy.

We raised Ayam Cemani EE mix chicks, they’re 11 weeks old, and 2 of them turned out to be roosters. Their long, skinny saddle feathers started showing last week. We are going to try to keep one and see how it goes.

1. We have 9 hens and the 2 roos. Can we keep both roos? I know there’s always the risk of over-mating. If we keep saddle covers on the hens and if the roosters get along, is it possible to keep both or should I look into rehoming one ASAP? They’re such great buddies and free range everywhere together.

2. Can my toddler chase the hens around still? Or should I just teach her to stop doing that?

Thank you for all of your help!
Remember, your roosters jobs is to protect the hens, thus protecting his future offspring. Over mating would be one of my concerns, in my personal opinion, 9 hens is good for only one rooster. I would pick the one that the hens prefer. They choose. They can discard sperm from a rooster they don't like.
The other thing, to me is a big one. I would not allow my child to chase the hens. If they want to come to her and she feeds, pets, etc. that's great. Roosters get upset if he thinks the girls are being bothers or hurt or going to be hurt. Teach your child to interact with your flock in a caretaker way. This is so good for children as it overflows with how to react with all beings, like other humans. With respect. Egg production is good when hens are happy and peaceful. Chickens and stress don't do well together. Also small children because of their size would be more likely to have the rooster go after them as they are less intimidating. As your roosters grow, one will claim ownership of the hens. That's why you should now, when you can, teach your toddler the caretaker roll. This is just my opinion. My daughter thinks I am the woods fairy that can talk to animals and plants, lol
I just love them.

Back
Top Bottom