First time setting eggs this week...complications

Fam project

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Michigan
Ok. I should have known that this was going to be more difficult than expected. I have eggs coming from 2/3 different sources. I thought I had it worked out that they all planned to mail them on the 17 th, but surprisingly some arrived in the mail today.... They were mailed Saturday, so sat someplace on Sunday (hopefully in air conditioning) and arrived at my place today in 98 degree heat... Complicating another problem that began yesterday...

A friend of mine use to hatch quail. He told me not to buy an incubator because I could use his cabinet incubator. I picked it up yesterday... Thinking that I had until Friday to get it ready.... Well the stench actually induced my gag reflex. There were shells, poo and lord knows what else still in there from his last hatch... Over two years ago. I cleaned it twice last night. This morning used soap and water ( dried), then peroxide (dried), then bleach water. It still smells bad, but I can now breath near it.

So, I am now worried for the health of the eggs in the incubator because of its condition, worried that the eggs are all getting cooked in the mail, and am still trying to figure out the basics.

On the bright side, I had bought a mini brinsea to play around with, so atleast 6 eggs will be in a clean environment. But I recently saw a post from someone saying that they hatched zero eggs their first time with the brinsea...guessing they did something wrong... I was hoping it was going to be novice proof...

I have heard to use a dry method until lock down (although my lock down will now be staggered), and to mist with peroxide. Another tidbits that might help me save these poor chicks?

Another advice for a chicken newbie? Ugh....stressing out here

Brooding cabinets are almost done...inspired by hillbilly hen... Just need to get some to hatch

I think you may get some to hatch...I like a broody to tell ya the truth...but good eggs from a good source usually get's you about three birds out of six eggs. They were made to deal with strange things...broken eggs under the hen...a bit of poo...so not always a clean thing that nest under a hen :eek:) I think most concern is the temp once you start to incubate...very low moisture...I used only a tablespoon of water. Good Luck to you....and the more you do it the better you get :eek:)

I was told the peroxide will help decrease the Surface bacteria load on the shells and will help cut down on possible naval infections from the newborns crawling around on them. Also, in an incubator that most definitely has some residual bacteria before starting ( I couldnt get into the fan area to clean), it will hopefully help to keep the growth from getting out of control ... Only words of wisdom passed along to me... As I have no idea what I am doing

i wonder how a hen ensures a bacteria free environment in a nest or under a bush? ;)
I think concentrate on warmth and humidity as the important things :)
Best of luck for your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom