First time showing, not at 4H anyhow

isaacsmommy104

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Randolph
Hello all! If this is something that has been addressed somewhere else already, I apologize. So I have been planning on attending Ohio Nationals as a spectator and I got talked into taking one of our Old English Game hens to show and see how she does in a bigger show. She placed very well at county fair this year when my son took her. My question is, does she need to have a leg band or anything special to go to the show and will our negative pollurum test from earlier this year be okay? Do I need to get her retested and if so can I get her tested at the show? Also, do I seriously have to wear a white lab coat? Okay, I have no clue what I am doing but my son really wants me to show her and see how she does. Shown horses for years, however, the prospect of showing a chicken makes me nervous. Go figure! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Every show in every state has different rules. The best bet is to contact the show superintedant. He/she will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do so that you can be sure that your birds will be allowed into the show. JMO

()relics :

Every show in every state has different rules. The best bet is to contact the show superintedant. He/she will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do so that you can be sure that your birds will be allowed into the show. JMO

thumbsup.gif
Perfect answer!

The only people I see wearing white "lab" coats at poultry shows are judges. Kids doing showmanship typically dress in 4H or FFA uniform, or the equivalent civilian (for lack of a better phrase) attire: white dress shirt, tucked in with a tie (ribbon or bolo), black slacks with a black belt, dark shoes.

Some folks have aprons or vests they wear over their regular clothes when handling their birds to keep their clothes clean, but most do not. Really, once the birds are cooped in and groomed, there is not much handling them until it is time to coop out. Enjoy the show, and best of luck!​

I totally would but he isn't going with us. It is a friend and I going and we are getting a hotel down there. She is showing her ducks and geese there. Next year for sure.

Back
Top Bottom