First time this problem arised.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delta3013, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Ok, my chick hatched about 10 min. ago. I was using the egg for a test run in my new incubator. He wasn't able to move in himself( he allready piped/ very percarious position), he was trying to roatate but couldent. So I took the top part of the shell off that he had already cracked and he crawled out. Now, when he crawled out he had a few parts of the shells inner membrane attached, but he got out no problem. But, his back side has a little tiny "fleshy" area, like were the "umbilicel" cord would detach, Is this normal? I've hatched many chicks and this has never happened. The chick is very lively, and talkative, and walks around in the incubator just fine, he was due on que.
    Thanks.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Should be fine! they look better after they dry- sometimes they're just a bit raw.

3. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Thanks, just wondering.

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    is it red fleshy? I have one that hatched today too i was going to ask about!!! It sounds like the same thing! Kinda of like a raw spot on the back of him/her?

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Freshly hatched chicks will look red and fleshy until their Down dries out. Then they get all fluffy.

You'll be fine, just let the chick dry in the brooder under a heat lamp....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by