First time trouble: Agressive chick

benhays

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
This is my first time posting. I am glad to see such a resource with such nice and helpful people. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I just picked up my first bunch of day old chicks from my local feed store this morning. I am having trouble with two barred rock chicks. When I first got home I noticed that one of the chicks had a bleeding foot. The other chicks were picking at it. I immediately removed the injured chick. Then I noticed that one of the other chicks was going around biting the feet of all of the other chicks. Hard. She is relentless. I took her out of the group for a while but when I put her back in she started right back up again. I don't know if the aggressive one caused the injury or not but now I can't put her back in with the group with out her attacking the other chicks.

I would appreciate any advise on helping the injured chick or getting the other one to play nice. Thanks.

-Ben

What color brooder light are you using? Try a red one, if you're not already, since this soothes them. And
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome. I have a clear light. I will go and get a red one right away and see if that helps.

Do I need to do anything for the foot of the injured bird or is just letting her heal enough?

Am I being too up tight about the biting?

Last edited:
Quote:
If the chick is making others bleed, no you're not! And would just make sure the toe is clean until it heals. I would let the mean chick see the red light for a while before putting it back with the others. I've seen this weird toe pecking more than once on this site, lol!

Edited to add that although I haven't needed to use these, I found that some people do use them to clean wounds on chickens. povidone iodine, saline, diluted betadine, triple antibiotic ointment, or blue kote. Maybe some who has used one could be more helpful, or ask at your feed store!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I put a red light in and reintroduced the wounded chick after she stopped bleeding. I have been keeping an eye on them and it seems like everyone is leaving everyone alone. I can't believe the red light had such an impact on the situation. I also think they we stressed and they have since had a chance to calm down.

Just now I noticed that the one with the hurt toe is limping. She isn't bleeding anymore but the toe looks a little swollen and discolored (Red). Is there anything I can/should do/worry about?

Back
Top Bottom