First time turkey owner here. I have...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Eggsoteric, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    7 Heritage breed poults that I've had since they were 2 days old; 5 Bourbon Reds; 1 Standard Bronze and 1 Narragansett. They just turned 8 weeks old today and it looks like I might have at least 2 Jakes (the other 5 I'm on the fence as far as sexing). The Narragansett is definitely a Jake and one of the BRs is looking very Jake-like. Anyway, I digress. Reading thru all the feeding threads, I'm so confused as to what to feed them next and at what age I should switch them over to a grower feed. They've been on Game Bird starter (30% crumble) since I've had them and they've done quite well; they've not had their feet on the ground yet. I'm trying to hold off until they're around 12 weeks old before I allow them to venture outside, though the timing might change since they're growing like weeds!

I'd like to start mixing in a grower feed with what I have left of the starter, however, here's where the confusion sets in. I've read threads where some folks switch to a 20%, 21% or 24% grower feed. I'd like to keep these poults on a healthy path; I'm not raising them for meat. So, what's the next best step? 20%, 21% or 24% grower? I can get a 20% turkey grower feed (small pellets) locally, however, is that enough protein at this age? Should I be adding anything to raise the protein level? There are so many feed choices for chickens, but just not that many options for turkeys.

Thanks.

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If you use the 24% protein grower feed you will not have any problems switching at 6 weeks old. With the 20% protein grower feed, I would wait until they are 8 weeks old. I like to feed pellets since i seem to have much less waste than I get with crumbles.

I use sand for bedding in the brooder which is the same as having them on the ground since I live on a sand dune. Once I take mine out of the brooder at 2 weeks they are on the ground. I do not have any issues with blackhead so that may make a difference.

Good luck.

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by