First time turkey owner here. I have...

Eggsoteric

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Maryland
7 Heritage breed poults that I've had since they were 2 days old; 5 Bourbon Reds; 1 Standard Bronze and 1 Narragansett. They just turned 8 weeks old today and it looks like I might have at least 2 Jakes (the other 5 I'm on the fence as far as sexing). The Narragansett is definitely a Jake and one of the BRs is looking very Jake-like. Anyway, I digress. Reading thru all the feeding threads, I'm so confused as to what to feed them next and at what age I should switch them over to a grower feed. They've been on Game Bird starter (30% crumble) since I've had them and they've done quite well; they've not had their feet on the ground yet. I'm trying to hold off until they're around 12 weeks old before I allow them to venture outside, though the timing might change since they're growing like weeds!

I'd like to start mixing in a grower feed with what I have left of the starter, however, here's where the confusion sets in. I've read threads where some folks switch to a 20%, 21% or 24% grower feed. I'd like to keep these poults on a healthy path; I'm not raising them for meat. So, what's the next best step? 20%, 21% or 24% grower? I can get a 20% turkey grower feed (small pellets) locally, however, is that enough protein at this age? Should I be adding anything to raise the protein level? There are so many feed choices for chickens, but just not that many options for turkeys.

Thanks.

7 Heritage breed poults that I've had since they were 2 days old; 5 Bourbon Reds; 1 Standard Bronze and 1 Narragansett. They just turned 8 weeks old today and it looks like I might have at least 2 Jakes (the other 5 I'm on the fence as far as sexing). The Narragansett is definitely a Jake and one of the BRs is looking very Jake-like. Anyway, I digress. Reading thru all the feeding threads, I'm so confused as to what to feed them next and at what age I should switch them over to a grower feed. They've been on Game Bird starter (30% crumble) since I've had them and they've done quite well; they've not had their feet on the ground yet. I'm trying to hold off until they're around 12 weeks old before I allow them to venture outside, though the timing might change since they're growing like weeds!

I'd like to start mixing in a grower feed with what I have left of the starter, however, here's where the confusion sets in. I've read threads where some folks switch to a 20%, 21% or 24% grower feed. I'd like to keep these poults on a healthy path; I'm not raising them for meat. So, what's the next best step? 20%, 21% or 24% grower? I can get a 20% turkey grower feed (small pellets) locally, however, is that enough protein at this age? Should I be adding anything to raise the protein level? There are so many feed choices for chickens, but just not that many options for turkeys.

Thanks.

If you use the 24% protein grower feed you will not have any problems switching at 6 weeks old. With the 20% protein grower feed, I would wait until they are 8 weeks old. I like to feed pellets since i seem to have much less waste than I get with crumbles.

I use sand for bedding in the brooder which is the same as having them on the ground since I live on a sand dune. Once I take mine out of the brooder at 2 weeks they are on the ground. I do not have any issues with blackhead so that may make a difference.

Good luck.

If you use the 24% protein grower feed you will not have any problems switching at 6 weeks old. With the 20% protein grower feed, I would wait until they are 8 weeks old. I like to feed pellets since i seem to have much less waste than I get with crumbles.

I use sand for bedding in the brooder which is the same as having them on the ground since I live on a sand dune. Once I take mine out of the brooder at 2 weeks they are on the ground. I do not have any issues with blackhead so that may make a difference.

Good luck.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom