First Time Turkey Processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by biomistake, Dec 23, 2010.

1. biomistake

biomistake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Russellville
    Day one... Well today was a first for me. I decided to take a jake with me for christmas dinner with my family. I really was not set up for processing turkeys but I had read a few tips on here and I tried one. I used a feed bag with a corner cut out as the killing cone and it worked sufficiently. As soon as it was through bleeding out i immediately started dry plucking the carcass. I was shocked... it was as easy as i had read it was. In a very short time I had one 14 lb 26.5 wk jake processed in less time it would have taken to do a few cockerels even if I skinned them. I had planned on doing a small breeding program for a sustainable chicken for processing, but not anymore. I will use turkeys instead and focus on bringing my laying breeds closer to their specifications in the APA.

Day two... I processed my sweetgrass jake and his processed weight was 11lbs with a 19.4 live weight. Just as easy as the first one... Ordering midget whites immediately!!!!

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Awesome! I bet it's going to taste fantastic! [​IMG]

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

That is great. I wish I had the guts to do my own. I will do 100's of chickens but I always let my Turks get too big for the scalding tank. I just take them in to the local processor.
    Lazy I guess [​IMG]

I actually have some 11 pound Chickens in the freezer [​IMG] My Turkeys are 20 pounds and over... I like to feed dozens of people if I go through the work of cooking [​IMG]

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Way to go! Wait until your family taste the turkey...it will be so wonderful.
    And Midget Whites have the best flavor!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by