First time with a foot problem!

Plumitas

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
I have a young hen (mixed chickens parents) and I started to notice she is kind of limping. I corralled her and took a look at her feet. It is BIG swollen but it doesn't have a black eye (the bumble foot's indicator), so what is it? how can I help my little hen? she is about 6 months old, small size. I have to figure out how to attach the picture of her foot here. I did! I don't know how but I'm happy I did. Thank you for your assistance! I and my little hen will appreciate it.
IMG_2823.jpg

I think that probably is bumblefoot even if there isn't a typical scab. The little black dot on the lump could be the point of infection or it could be off to the side. How firm is the lump? Bumblefoot will feel firm but not rock hard... Can you give her foot a soak in an warm bath (with epsom salt if you have it), clean off the dirt and see if you can locate a point of injury? I'm not big on bumblefoot surgery, but that's a sizeable lump which might need to be cut open if there is no scab to soak off. Is vet care an option?

I think that probably is bumblefoot even if there isn't a typical scab. The little black dot on the lump could be the point of infection or it could be off to the side. How firm is the lump? Bumblefoot will feel firm but not rock hard... Can you give her foot a soak in an warm bath (with epsom salt if you have it), clean off the dirt and see if you can locate a point of injury? I'm not big on bumblefoot surgery, but that's a sizeable lump which might need to be cut open if there is no scab to soak off. Is vet care an option?
We live back in the woods and the veterinarian we take our dog to doesn’t help with chickens, I was told by her office. Thank you and I will soak the foot to inspect it and keep looking for a veterinarian to take her to. God bless.

Can you get some someone to help you and spread the foot apart a bit, take more clean photos at different angles and the top of her foot too?

There's a hole or indention in the footpad. It almost looks like a puncture, but hard to tell. I'd take a closer look at that.
I would be hesitant to lance the foot. Try soaking in a warm epsom salts bath and see what the foot looks like afterward.

1674413052885.jpeg

Can you get some someone to help you and spread the foot apart a bit, take more clean photos at different angles and the top of her foot too?

There's a hole or indention in the footpad. It almost looks like a puncture, but hard to tell. I'd take a closer look at that.
I would be hesitant to lance the foot. Try soaking in a warm epsom salts bath and see what the foot looks like afterward.

View attachment 3382813
Well, I did soak her foot and the "hole" was no a hole. I did try to do surgery on the swollen pad: I sliced it open and squeezed it but to my surprise there was nothing coming out of it, it only bled a little. However, I noticed that the color of her leg is whiter than the healthy one, that is why I decided to do the surgery. I wonder what is going on. Is the infection spreading up? I finally found a veterinarian who sees birds and I will take my little girl to see if she can help, although I have to wait the whole week for the appointment. Fingers crossed. Thank you trying to help me.

Well, I did soak her foot and the "hole" was no a hole. I did try to do surgery on the swollen pad: I sliced it open and squeezed it but to my surprise there was nothing coming out of it, it only bled a little. However, I noticed that the color of her leg is whiter than the healthy one, that is why I decided to do the surgery. I wonder what is going on. Is the infection spreading up? I finally found a veterinarian who sees birds and I will take my little girl to see if she can help, although I have to wait the whole week for the appointment. Fingers crossed. Thank you trying to help me.
I'm glad you will be able to see the vet, hopefully they will be able to help you resolve this.

Back
Top Bottom