First time with broody, 3 eggs

@CTKen how long should I allow the eggs that got rejected by the first broody be sat upon. An extra day or 2 if they don't (start hatching by Wednesday, day 21)? Thanks.

That sounds reasonable. If you are brave enough to put your ear close enough to the nest,you may be able to hear the chicks peeping before they hatch. The momma may also cluck softly to communicate with them before they hatch.

Ct

That sounds reasonable. If you are brave enough to put your ear close enough to the nest,you may be able to hear the chicks peeping before they hatch. The momma may also cluck softly to communicate with them before they hatch.

Ct
Thanks CT, and oh my goodness! I thought I heard peeping today when I checked on her! I thought I was going crazy (I'm on high chick alert of course). Will let you know. The obsession with this all has my own children worrying about me a little...haha.

Thanks CT, and oh my goodness! I thought I heard peeping today when I checked on her! I thought I was going crazy (I'm on high chick alert of course). Will let you know. The obsession with this all has my own children worrying about me a little...haha. 

I know what you mean - it's a mix of excitement and stress, but if you heard peeping then all is well, I would hope. Keep us up dated and fingers crossed!

Ct

[@]CTKen I definitely hear peeping from the second broody who I gave the abandoned eggs to!!! I wonder how long til she lets me get a look. I got a prompt fluff up and hiss when I lifted up the nest latch just now!! Can't tell what's going on with the original broody and her 3 eggs. She's all backed into the corner of her nest and is also quite annoyed with me when I tried to get closer to listen.

@CTKen sad update. The 2 rejected eggs from yesterday were born dead today. They looked a bit flattened and the shell was still around them. Very strange but can't quite figure what happened. I hope they don't play dead because my hubby examined them and determined they weren't breathing etc. still very wet and hunched up. Good news is we think there's a healthy little black chick under the other Cochin. We saw it peek out but don't know about the other 2 eggs. Do we investigate or wait it out?
Worst part is we set to give these 2 ladies eggs because their broodiness is so longggggg. Now the " chickless " hen won't have been cured of the broody. So sad :(

Another one of my hens went broody :/ a RIR this time. I just let her keep the 4 eggs she sat on all day, at least she seems smart enough to go back to the same nest lol. The first one was on the wrong one again this evening, I caught it before the eggs got too cool.
Is bloodiness contagious or something? It's like one yawned and the others want to follow suit.

First one hatched! Saw the pip this morning and suspected it would be out when I got home. Second has piped so should out soon :) so happy to have chicks!

Next batch is hatching out today, 3 are out and the 4th pipped early this morning.
After the last ones hatched out, I waited until that night and moved them to a lower box that I expanded and put food and water in. Mama hen stayed with the chickies and has been a great mom to them. By day 3 the chicks were wandering about the coop (staying close to mama of course).

Back
Top Bottom