First time with chicks, please help!

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My next step is a search on BYC but I’m going post some pics here first. My chicks are about a week old. They are active, eating & drinking plain water & unmediated chick feed, and have a heat plate to sleep under. Their “treats” consist of chick feed wet in water. I change the water about 4 times per day, or whenever I notice poop in the lip (which has only happened about 3 times). There are 15 chicks. The brooder is about 15 sq ft.

This morning I opened the brooder to greet them & check on things, and noticed what looked like blood in a few poop blotches. What to do at this point? There are pictures attached. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 219565A9-9CBF-46E1-9E0E-DC1F9A7E8836.jpeg
    219565A9-9CBF-46E1-9E0E-DC1F9A7E8836.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 37A13320-4F39-484D-8C54-550D8A5F45AC.jpeg
    37A13320-4F39-484D-8C54-550D8A5F45AC.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 9
  • C82879B5-100E-4BDD-A8F2-4F22128D819D.jpeg
    C82879B5-100E-4BDD-A8F2-4F22128D819D.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 9
Ok I think it’s more orangey than red...woul really love opinions. I changed out paper towels & put new pads in. Going to watch for another hour or so. TSC is only 20 minutes away so I’ll run there if necessary. Looked at some other threads & the poop is not as red. I turned the wall light off in the brooder room last night for the first time, could that have stressed them out? Here is a pic of my setup for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 8
Brooder looks great - just monitor your temperatures closely. If you see chicks huddled under your heat source, it's a tad too cold for them; if they're away from the heat, it's too hot for them. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature at ground level, where the chicks are. First week temps should be 90-95, second week 85-90, third week 80-85 and so on...

I don't see anything in their stools that would concern me, and we raise chicks each spring.

Last edited:
Brooder looks great - just monitor your temperatures closely. If you see chicks huddled under your heat source, it's a tad too cold for them; if they're away from the heat, it's too hot for them.

I don't see anything in their stools that would concern me, and we raise chicks each spring...
Thank you. The room has been between 68 at night & 80 during the day. When I opened the side door this morning to say hello, all 15 came out to see me (I sprinkle dry food in my lap, trying to train them to come to me when they see me, and now they climb on my hands & legs). There are a few that stay under the lamp more than others but they all do come out to eat & drink. I will keep monitoring and post if anything changes. I’m a very worried chick momma!

Thank you. The room has been between 68 at night & 80 during the day. When I opened the side door this morning to say hello, all 15 came out to see me (I sprinkle dry food in my lap, trying to train them to come to me when they see me, and now they climb on my hands & legs). There are a few that stay under the lamp more than others but they all do come out to eat & drink. I will keep monitoring and post if anything changes. I’m a very worried chick momma!

Those sorts of temperature swings might have some adverse affects on them. Is there any way you can get to a more steady/consistent temperature? 68-70 is really too cold for week old chicks.

Those sorts of temperature swings might have some adverse affects on them. Is there any way you can get to a more steady/consistent temperature? 68-70 is really too cold for week old chicks.
I can crack the windows at night. I’ve been leaving them wide open because of the daytime heat. It was 88 outside yesterday, super hot for NY.It’s been 60 outside from about 11pm to early morning. Right now it is 74 at 9am.

I can crack the windows at night. I’ve been leaving them wide open because of the daytime heat. It was 88 outside yesterday, super hot for NY.It’s been 60 outside from about 11pm to early morning. Right now it is 74 at 9am.
& up to 76 just 15 minutes later. Lol. I’ll definitely close the windows up a bit at night to keep it warmer.

Back
Top Bottom