first time with meat turkeys! just a few questions.

Big Dan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Laporte, Colorado
I have 4 BBB toms that I got march 20. They are getting big and starting to really feather in a lot. The first question I have is I noticed this morning there were a couple runny poops in the pen. All turkeys are acting normal and seem to be eating great and making plenty of noise. When I went out to check on them this evening I didn't notice any runny poop. All looked normal. Is this normal? I'm just worried about something like bleak head. They all have tons of energy and eating great. I was also wondering what is the best to feed them to fatten them up. I want a thanksgiving and Christmas dinner I can be proud of. I have a big family and want a huge bird? Thanks everybody in advanced and I look forward to hearing responses

They are right about 5 weeks old. They are currently on a 22% because that's about the highest in my area I can find. That's why I was wondering if I should supplement in scratch so they get the corn and grains. They seem to be good size thjougfh.

Is 5 to 6 weeks to you to start adding scratch to my meat turkeys to help them start putting on weight. The are all tom bbb's. I am wanting to get them plump form the holidays

Could somebody who knows about feed help. They are blowing through 22% like crazy and I need to know if I can supplement in scratch to help slow em down on the 22%. Thanks

If they are 5-6 weeks old and u want to save some money go ahead and switch them to 20% protein or like u said add scratch feed. They will be fine.

Thank you I am going to go buy scratch today. Should I be weighing them to keep track of how they are doing. This has been a lot of fun raising turkeys. I have def learned a lot about how they are diff from my Cornish x

I have been wanting to weigh them but i haven't seen a scale that seems like it would work that well so I don't know what to get and I don't want to pay top dollar to order one online. I read a post awhile back and somebody said their 6 week turkeys weighed 2.5 lbs. Is that what they should weigh? I want to get these things big for the holidays. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom