1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first time with quails...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pipkins, Feb 10, 2015.

1. pipkins

pipkins New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    im looking at getting some japanese quails,
    people say they are a hardy bird..they will be kept outside in a coop. will i need to put in some heating for them in the winter. its been minus 5 here in norfolk. our garden is protected all around and was wanting to let them free rome, but don't want them to fly off. would clipping there feathers be ok.
    what sort of size coop. was thinking of a rabbit hutch type but with a mesh floor for the droppings to fall into, do they need a dark area to go to and do they need perches.
    any help greatly appreciated

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

To discourage you from free ranging them here are some pictures of my quail trying really really hard to get eaten.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This went on for more than an hour before the raccoon gave up. I'm sure this happens constantly I only put the camera up that night because I had lost 21 quail in two weeks and I couldn't figure out how or what was getting them. The raccoon would pull them through the 3/4 and 1" wire in pieces and then the next quail would step up to the plate so to speak. So not only should you keep them in a cage you should remember that a predator can pull an adult quail through any wire larger than 1/2" mesh.

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Oh! That is amazing info! Thanks!,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by