First Time With Sour Crop - Please Help

Thank you for the tip! I read about vomiting them but everyone seems to have a different opinion on it. At what point do I know I NEED to vomit her? If she seems like she's doing better, should I not?
Np! I would do it if you notice her developing impacted crop or pendulous crop because of sour crop. You can tell if her crop begins to swell, or become very hard. If she seems like she’s doing better and there are no signs from above, hold back. It’s a stressful process for the bird and us. If she does get impacted or pendulous crop in addition to her sour crop make sure that her vomit can’t be accessed by the other girls, bc they’ll get sour crop if they eat it.

Np! I would do it if you notice her developing impacted crop or pendulous crop because of sour crop. You can tell if her crop begins to swell, or become very hard. If she seems like she’s doing better and there are no signs from above, hold back. It’s a stressful process for the bird and us. If she does get impacted or pendulous crop in addition to her sour crop make sure that her vomit can’t be accessed by the other girls, bc they’ll get sour crop if they eat it.
Thank you very much! She is currently isolated in the house, so we won't have to worry about the other girls getting it as well.
Do you know much about treating her with the Monistat? I started her on that, just a small amount, she ate the cream right off my finger. I have read so many forum posts about how it was a miracle for their chicken with sour crop, but others saying that it was toxic and killed their bird. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you very much! She is currently isolated in the house, so we won't have to worry about the other girls getting it as well.
Do you know much about treating her with the Monistat? I started her on that, just a small amount, she ate the cream right off my finger. I have read so many forum posts about how it was a miracle for their chicken with sour crop, but others saying that it was toxic and killed their bird. Any thoughts on that?
So, in truth I haven’t dealt with Sour crop, only pendulous crop (hence why I know so much about vomiting hens). I have only touched on research for sour and impacted crop. I just read through the some BackyardChickens and backyard herd forums and got the same things. The only treatment that I was able to find that seemed to have the least backlash was in the video I sent previously. Also forgot to mention, if her crop seems full for a while, massage it to stimulate, but not for long, so she doesn’t vomit.

So, in truth I haven’t dealt with Sour crop, only pendulous crop (hence why I know so much about vomiting hens). I have only touched on research for sour and impacted crop. I just read through the some BackyardChickens and backyard herd forums and got the same things. The only treatment that I was able to find that seemed to have the least backlash was in the video I sent previously. Also forgot to mention, if her crop seems full for a while, massage it to stimulate, but not for long, so she doesn’t vomit.
227E5F9B-0F06-4E9B-A7C9-9901F075421E.jpeg

This is what she’s doing currently. She doesn’t seem sickly at all, her crop has shrunk a lot, and at this point it feels more like it’s impacted. Her poops are still runny and milky and she isn’t drinking as much water as I would like.

Never hurts to have multiple types of drugs handy, I have learned to built up a formidable inventory of things for my chickens. Currently she looks good, but these sour crop can turn so fast. I am not an expert on the yeast drugs so I will speak to the supportive care. Definitely make sure she is drinking plenty, if that means having her on your lap and putting drops of water into her beak from a dropper a few times a day. Think about flushing the crop with water. Have the ACV in her water supply and liquidy things to eat like yogurt and other probiotic stuff like Kefir are great. It won't hurt to limit the solid food at the moment in the interest of flushing the crop out. Keep the fluids moving is your best friend. Someone posted about force feeding water if that's something you know how to do it can do nothing but help.

Never hurts to have multiple types of drugs handy, I have learned to built up a formidable inventory of things for my chickens. Currently she looks good, but these sour crop can turn so fast. I am not an expert on the yeast drugs so I will speak to the supportive care. Definitely make sure she is drinking plenty, if that means having her on your lap and putting drops of water into her beak from a dropper a few times a day. Think about flushing the crop with water. Have the ACV in her water supply and liquidy things to eat like yogurt and other probiotic stuff like Kefir are great. It won't hurt to limit the solid food at the moment in the interest of flushing the crop out. Keep the fluids moving is your best friend. Someone posted about force feeding water if that's something you know how to do it can do nothing but help.
Thank you so much for the advice! She seems good today, and her crop seems to be shrinking a little bit every day, she pooped a lot through the night. My main focus is getting enough water in her to break up what I think is hay from the coop she has been ingesting. That's what it feels like at least. Should I be giving her coconut oil or olive oil to help?

I am not an expert on crop issues. All of mine who have had a sour crop secondary to a reproductive disorder died. The Monistat is a topical cream, and many use it orally. The Medistatin is Nystatin, and it is a proper oral medicine. If the Monistat works, use it.

Back
Top Bottom