First time with successful broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckpalace, Dec 12, 2012.

1. cluckpalace

cluckpalace New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    so happy to say that my VERY broody hen has finally had success with becoming a mama. On exactly 21 days out, I went to do my chicken chores and two sweet babies popped up next to my bantum hen. They are not her eggs but after her first try with three was unsuccessful, I decided to give her two fresh eggs from other chickens. They are pretty big for her but she's making do. Thought I would share a sweet picture. It is a great word picture for Psalm 91:4 for those who read scripture.

[​IMG]

Would love advice on how long I should keep hen with peeps. I know to keep peeps away from flock til feathered out and then introduce them slowly to the rest of the crew...but how about taking them from mom? Does it matter when? Also, when I do put mama back with the flock, should I introduce her slowly as she has been away for 6 weeks.

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    i have had my banty and her chicks for a long time she was a cochin so it was easy hatching them. they are all almost completely covered in feathers but still have a strong bond with their mom, i think it would be smart to introduce her slowly but if they show no threat i'm sure she'll be fine, and sometimes the mother will chase the chicks off when she wants them to fend for themselves, but you should keep them together as long as they are content with eachother. hope i was help! [​IMG]

3. Duffysma

Duffysma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Wakefield, Virginia
    Awwww! You have a proud little momma there! Congratulations!

4. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    The chicks will need their mums heating until they have enough of their own feathers to keep themselves warm (about 8 weeks old is about the earliest as I understand it depending on the weather/season where you are) but the longer you can leave them the better really.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

she's been blessed! [​IMG]

6. cluckpalace

cluckpalace New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    thanks for all the info. All very helpful. I have a heat light on them with lots of area to get away from it if need be. I feel confident in just leaving them be and letting the family be together. I was hoping that was the best thing to do as taking babes away from mama seems cruel if you don't need to separate them. Appreciate all the replies.

7. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    keep them with her until they are about 8 weeks old and fully feathered. but i alwayskeep them with their mom forever so they are better taken to ur flock

8. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by