First time with Turkeys, Tom weighs 46 pounds dressed!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MeatKing, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So excited, now just have to find a pan big enough to cook it!! Haha I wonder how long that will take!

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Thats a good size turkey....what breed?

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Wow that is awesome. How old was the Tom? That is gonna take a while to cook!

4. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Wow, thats a lot of turkey!!!

I read on another forum where someone suggested de-boneing really big turkeys and rolling the stuffing up in the meat, roulade style. Tends to fit in the oven better that way.

5. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Quote:I cooked a big one before. It was not that pan that was hard to find to fit. It was a oven tall enough to fit that big boy in. I think I would butterfly that bird.

6. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
  7. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:Wow! That is quite the pan. What temp do you cook your Turkey on, and how do you formulate the cooking time?

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    OP, I sure hope you're hungry!! That's HUGE!

9. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    Quote:Wow! That is quite the pan. What temp do you cook your Turkey on, and how do you formulate the cooking time?

cook Turkey at 325 degrees, it's supposed to be 1/2 hour per pound but mine are always done long before that. last year my t6urkey weighed 35lbs. I put it in the oven at midnight and according to the temp gauge I had put in the breast it was done about 9:30 in the mornig. this year it's 41lbs and I will do the same time, maybe at 11 instead.

10. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    i have a much better idea for the cooking of a big bird....not the oven....the GRILL!!! we grilled ours and it was great![​IMG]

oh, and one of the other nice things...more oven space for the side dishes!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by