1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Morgan87, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Morgan87

Morgan87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Southwestern Minnesota
    This is my first time hatching, and I set about 45 eggs on 4/12 checked them on day 3 but didn't really
    see anything so I just kept them in there.I checked on them yesterday (day 6) and I'm not sure anything
    is happening. I set about 36 on 4/17 in another incubator and checked them tonight (4/20)
    and I see way more development in the second batch then I did/do in the first batch, but I
    don't know if I should wait and see with the first ones or just throw them. [​IMG]

Any advice?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure you candle in a pitch black room with a very bright but not hot lamp. Focus the light using a hole in cardboard (that's what I use). Fat end of egg down. You should, by 3 days, especially 5 days, see a spider like shape. If you don't, then the egg isn't fertile. Or the incubator isn't right. Make sure temp is hot enough, 40f, and humidity is right. Turn them two/three times a day also.

If you have done all of that then I suggest candle the eggs in another two days or so. If you see the air sac at the bottom, and the black mass (yolk) in the middle but no veins or no black entity or pip shaped being, then the egg is infertile and must be disposed of as it will rot.

By day 6 and 7 you should be seeing the chick when candling.

3. Morgan87

Morgan87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Southwestern Minnesota
    Well when I candled the second batch I seen hearts beating, and I never saw that in the first batch. I'm thinking the next candle if I don't see anything in them I will probably throw them out, I can always get more eggs. These are from and for my grandpa because raccoons kept stealing them from his farm. Thank you for replying! It probably is the incubator also, we lost power one night and it had gotten down to 75 I think it was, then the day after the temp got up to 106 and then yesterday it had gone up to 105, otherwise it would stay between 98-100, so I'm pretty sure if they even were fertile they are dead now :( - At least the second batch is doing very good! It's my first time so I didn't expect to see much happen, but I should have only set a few and seen how it went.

4. judsenn

judsenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    eek, 106, I'd say they are no more, but then again stranger things have happened. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by