First Timer - 6 pullets, 24 weeks . . . . . . . Only one egg per day??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by npilston, Oct 20, 2016.

1. npilston

npilston Just Hatched

Mar 7, 2016
    We have (3) Barred Rock, and (3) Black Star pullets, 24 weeks old. They were fetched up on Purina Organic Grower, and are now on Purina Organic Layer ration (always available), and some fresh veg. in the morning, when the coop is opened up. They occasionally get a tetherball-style cabbage, or spaghetti squash to play with, and have constant access to clean water (inside the coop and out).

They roost in a clean, dry, well-ventilated coop, w/3 square feet each, fresh chopped straw bedding, and (2) nesting boxes. They have 140 square feet of secure, partly shaded outdoor space to forage and goof off in during the day. They have a (TSC feed tub) dust bath, containing DE, peat moss, and wood ash, which is under separate roof, in the run. I'm not using artificial lighting, except to check on them prior to closing the coop in the evening.

They all seem healthy, and look great, though the Barred Rocks have considerably more comb and wattle development than the Black Stars. They are all active and curious, but the 'Rocks are "friendlier", and more social (typical, from what I've read).

I think only 2 or 3 of them laying, and not very often. One Barred Rock has been at it for a couple weeks and her eggs are getting bigger. We don't know where the other smallish eggs are coming from, but some days we have none, some days one. We've only had 2 eggs on a couple occasions. Thankfully - all eggs thus far have been deposited in a laying box. I did find a "rubber" egg on the coop floor last week, but I understand that is normal for new layers.

I've been reading about stress, age, and other reasons for "egglessness" - but can't figure this out . . . . . Any of you folks had this happen with "new" birds?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At 24 weeks of age your girls are just inside the window of time where onset of production can be expected -- and at the onset of production the eggs often come very sporadically. There is nothing amiss in what you are observing - and, with time and patience, you will see production pick up and become steady and more plentiful.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could be that the layer feed is not providing them with enough protein. Layer should only be fed to actively laying birds. And treats need to be kept limited to no more than 10% of the daily diet. Layer feed has just barely enough protein in it for egg production. Veggies dilute that protein even further. And birds that are still growing and developing need more protein than layer feed provides.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You've already gotten good advice in the above posts...I'll just add, not all birds lay every day.

If you want to know who is laying and who is not, check vents and pelvic points.
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by