First timer breed help

Shelbyrose17

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015
So this is my first post, I just figured out how to do it! :) I got my chickens maybe 7 weeks ago and my brother picked them up at tractor supply without seeing what kind they were. I talked to the people there and they said they had a Leghorn shippment around that time. But I looked at leghorns and my chicks colorings look different. So I need help, what are they, what color and size of eggs will they lay, and are they meat or egg birds?

(Ill post the pictures in a comment it is giving me trouble)

In the meantime, while you sort out how to post the photo, something to consider is that there is more than one type of Leghorn. Most folks associate the breed with the standard, white bird - but there are other color variations and some (the brown, for example) are becoming more commonly available in feed stores, etc. as folks start asking for variance in the breeds ordered. If you can't get the pictures going you might take a look at the different types of leghorn to see if they look like your chicks.

Last edited:

Alright, so I have four with the white heads and white ears, and four with the brown heads and brown ears. (It is ears right?
tongue.png
)

Combs don't look big enough for leghorns at seven weeks. Could they be red sex links possibly made with roo other than RIR or NHR or PR. Just guessing

Some of your birds look like White Laced Red Cornish and some look like Red Sex-Links. They're not Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom