First Timer - Chicken sitting on eggs

joelschickenfarm

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
HELP!
I am new at this. I have a White Crested Black Polish. Really a family pet. She is allowed to roam outside of the pen from the rest of the chickens (they seem to pick on her). On Sunday she disappeared and only comes around during feeding time. Today I found her in a wood box on the back porch. She is sitting on eggs.
Is there anything I should do. Or just leave her alone? And what should I expect next?
hmm.png

Thanks

Make sure no predators can get her. If you have to move her try moving her at night to a safe place. She should do the rest by herself
smile.png

Goodluck!
big_smile.png

I suggest you check out this thread. I think you will find something in there that might help you.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

To me the biggest issue would be how vulnerable is she to predators. If she is safe enough for you, I would probably just mark the eggs she has and check daily to make sure other chickens are not laying with her and leave her be. If you think she is at too high a risk, you can move her at night to a place has a nest, room for food and water and enough room to go poop, and leave her locked in there where she cannot get back to her old nest. The risk in doing this is that she may break from being broody. It might help if you could move the entire wood box.

Another possibility is can you build something around her that can protect her, especially at night when most predators are more active. The commotion of building something might frighten her off the nest though and break her from being broody, so it would be good if you could just set it over her.

Back
Top Bottom