First-timer, considering some broilers...

Thanks, Jeff - yes, I think I will go ahead & try 10 this year; I could most definitely use the good compost when it's all done. I'll have to read up on that and see how long that needs to set before using on my garden - don't want to burn my plants! Then over late summer/fall, I'll build a tractor that'll go in my horse field. I've got 10+ acres and only 5 horses, my husband has to mow 2-3 times per year just to keep the grass & weeds down, so there's plenty out there.

Thanks to you ALL for all the feedback & most excelelnt information!

Quote:
We have a very young junior poultry club in Arkansas. I posted on the local online news forum that we wanted donated rabbit hutches. One guy gave us about 20 hutches! Perhaps you could run an ad in your local shopper and ask for a donation. You could also pick up used pallets. Four used pallets, connected at the corners would give you a pen about 4'x4'. You can install lawn mower wheels on the back two corners to assist in moving the pen. Cover with a tarp. Of corse, first cover the inside of the pallets with wire to keep them in. Just simple idea. May work for you.

For my first meaties, I got Freedom Rangers last year. Super easy, super yummy! I only do 10...that's all we need. I'm going to do another order late this spring, Ms. Wy...if you'd like to try them, you're more than welcome to split an order with me. I have a friend in Marlette who's going to get some, too.

Last edited:
Jimsfarmstand - first lf all, WELCOME to BYC! Hope to see you posting often!

I like your pallet idea; I may search and see what I can come up with for a "pallet tractor" because I do have plenty of them lying around and plenty I can get my hands on. I wonder, maybe, two 4x4 pallet sections, one that I could close off during the evening, and one that has no roof (just chicken wire) for sunlight during the day? Hmmm....

Hey, Michelle! I didn't know that you did meaties! Yes, I'd like to piggyback onto your order later...thanks so much!!! And YES, I'd also love some help building a tractor!

Great!
thumbsup.gif

I really like the pallet idea, too. There's been some great threads about them...I just can't get my hands on any pallets.
sad.png

With my Rangers last year, I had an a-frame tractor that I put out in the middle of one of my pastures. In the morning, I'd go open it up so they could free range during the day...they were always waiting for me and would come RUNNING out as soon as I opened the door. In the evening, they would always return to the tractor and I'd simply have to shut the door. As someone suggested, I had lawn mower tires on the back of the tractor so I (by myself) could move it around the pasture every couple of days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom