First timer Day 19- Going crazy!!

Soon2Bchickymom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Hi everyone! This is my first time incubation chicken eggs (we thought it would be a super fun super project for the kids) Well today is day 19, and I have to admit I am going a little crazy!! We statred out with 5 eggs, one never developed, one didn't make it (started to smell and was no longer moving at day 13) So we have our three little eggy babies left, we candled them late on day 17 before we put them into lock down, it was difficult to see anything at all but thought we could see some movement on all of them. All day long yesterday I was running back and forth to the incubator to see if anything was happening yet! lol ( I have the patience of a toddler) This morning my husband woke me up and said he saw them wiggling around in the incubator. I of course ran out of bed and was super excited to see them wiggling too!! I went to the movies with the kids and when we came home I noticed the water in the bottom of the incubator was very low. I wasn't sure what to do so I went ahead and opened the lid VERY quickly too add some more water. I am still not sure it was the right thing to do, especially not after reading about opening the lid causing the chicks to be shrink wrapped inside the eggs, and because we haven't seem them wiggle at all since. HELP...did I doom my eggs?!?! I am such a worry wart, they are probably just resting right?? I never realized how nerve racked I would be at the end.

Thanks for any thoughts, advice, opinions and encouragemt!

They will be fine. Put as much water as you can at this time in the incubator. Once they start pipping and zipping you CANNOT open the incubator. This is when you will shrink wrap the little ones. Once the first one hatches resist the urge to take it out. It will do well for up to 3 days without you taking it out of the incubator. I can't over emphasize this point. Do not open the incubator. Worse than one not hatching is one half hatched and then stuck. You all will be so excited when your little fuzzy butts hatch. We started this spring as well and have now hatched over 100 eggs -- combination of chicken, guiena and ducks and it is still so exciting when they start hatching. My youngest daughter (8yo) has really taken to the chickens and she is quite the little chicken farmer. Enjoy your little peeps.

Last edited:
I too am day 19. A first time hatcher! Tonight 2 of our 6 have pipped. My question to you all is, is it ok if it pips at the underneath of the egg? Do they manage to zip ok that way? I know, its a silly first timers worry... but dont dont them to get so far and then not make it! (it is at the large end, just facing the floor...)

I am soooo excited but really nervous too! How will I sleep?
pop.gif

P.S. I too topped up water REALLY quickly once in lockdown, as i was suspicious it would get too low to last out and knew I wouldnt want to once they had started

Last edited:
I have been hatching for a year--I'm 125 chicks and poults into this.

If the chick pips at the wrong end, it usually cannot zip and will need help. Wait about 24 hours, then help the chick by carefully breaking the shell away. While you are waiting do some research to get the details on when to stop and wait , and what you are looking at witht he TWO membranes.

I do open my hatcher and pull out chicks , I don't let them stay more than 24 hours before placing in a brooder and giving them water (and food). THey drink, but ignore food until they are hungry. I rarely have problems with shrink wrapping.

Look up all of PETE55 threads--expert hatcher and has taken the time to detail great information.

Yes, waiting for hatching is nerve wracking. Checking 10 times a day. THey get here when they get here. Patience, try to keep busy. Try anyway! LOL Soon you will be counting pips and then zipps and then hatched chicks.

Good luck.

still no more moving, no pips or peeps, I just have to keep telling myself its only day 20... but man I hope something happens soon!!

it will be a long 24 hours

but relax i had one pip out and nothing for 12 hours not even a movement
the next day it fought a six hour long fight chirping all the way
we watched it hatched
then watched tv for 10 minutes
came back in and another was already out
some are fast some are not

the fast one was the weakest at birth and took 12 hours to stand i thought it was gonna die

it is the strongest now as you can see at

you guys are making me nervous to try hatching!!! lol I am not patient at all either... I hope everything turns out ok and all your chicks hatch!! keep us all posted.

you guys are making me nervous to try hatching!!! lol I am not patient at all either... I hope everything turns out ok and all your chicks hatch!! keep us all posted.
Hatching is a thrilling event. It all happens in a month. THe last few days are very anticipated and the most anxious for those of us with high expectations. And who doesn't have high expectations when cute fluff balls will be out!! ITtis like Christmas, for those that celebrate that Holiday!!

I have also found that fist to pip is often one of the slowest. THe goal is to hatch at late 20-21 days. THat produces the strongest and healthiest.

If early, temp too hot; if late, temp too cool. ANd I'm talking .5-1 degrees ! Not much.

Congrats on those cuties!

Back
Top Bottom