1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

------first timer hatching bantam eggs------

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennings Gamefowl, May 4, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    I got a bantam egg from my bantam mix.. i think she is a nakin mix, she looks just like them except for some white on her... she laid a egg yesterday and i put in the bator. its one of the school projects bator so it can hold atleast 2 more of bantams eggs... i have hatch eggs before from a broody game hen but since she just hatch them out 3 weeks ago i thought it would be cool to see if i could hatch one out...besides turning it twice a day what else should i do?? and any other help/advice will be useful.....plus she was bred to a silver duckwing game roo( he got in her pen and they enjoyed each other company) so what kind of chick will i get??? just wondering

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  2. Jennings Gamefowl

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    anyone ???

3. Jennings Gamefowl

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    i know that it takes 18 days to hatch a bantam egg, so do i stop turning on day 15??? I also got a bantam EE egg and and bantam EE/mix egg in there too..

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd like to know too. I just had a broody Australorp hatch several eggs- 2 of which are banties. They are soooo tiny and cute! I have TONS of eggs ready for the incubator. Also- Can you mix bantam and large eggs in the incubator? Hope someone answers!

5. sojeo

sojeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Scotsburn
    I would like to know this also. I have 8 regular and 1 bantam in the same bator. I didn't realize until now that the bantam hatch earlier! Ugh! I candled it and I can see a foot, but it's not moving at all and I can't see any blood vessels anymore. I have the sinking feeling that it died [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Still hoping someone will answer! I went ahead and mixed banty & regular eggs in the incubator.

7. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put them both in the incubator and hatcher at the same time. I have done it the last 3 times incubating. They are incubated the same as other chickens they are just smaller eggs. I stop turning on day 18 and they hatched on days 20-21. I too thought I had some that had died because I couldn't see them move and they hatched the next day.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:Ditto to the above [​IMG]

9. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Quote:Ditto to the above [​IMG]

Double Ditto

Treat bantams just like standards.... Stop turning at day 18, then chickies are soon to follow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by