First timer help please !!

roofer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales
Hi, i am wondering if i can have your opinions on the best time to start incubating a turkey to rear for eating? Also what is the best turkey to have. I like the look of the bourbon reds but not sure, also i dont want it to be too cute as we'll end up having another pet !!!
lol.png

With a heritage turkey you are looking at 7 to 9 months if you want it nice and filled out depending on the breed, the smaller /lighter breeds will mature quicker than a heavy one. Lighter breeds being a Midget White, Beltsville White, heavy breeds being a White Holland, Standard Bronze. Medium sized are the Bourbon Reds.

If you want a quick bird then one of the broad breasted types will be ready in 4 to 5 months.

We have raised the broad breasted types and taste wise the heritage is much much better.

Our favorite table bird in the Midget White.

Steve in NC

as a general rule Heritage breeds are around 30 weeks, and BB bronze, and Great white are around 20 weeks for butcher.

You can butcher sooner, a male Great white we did early dressed out at about 16 pounds at 16 weeks. A BB Bronze female we did at the same time was about 12 pounds.

It's getting a little late for starting turkeys for christmass, But if you butcher early with a larger bird it may work out.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom