First timer help please !!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by roofer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. roofer

roofer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Cwmbran, South Wales
    Hi, i am wondering if i can have your opinions on the best time to start incubating a turkey to rear for eating? Also what is the best turkey to have. I like the look of the bourbon reds but not sure, also i dont want it to be too cute as we'll end up having another pet !!! [​IMG]

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    With a heritage turkey you are looking at 7 to 9 months if you want it nice and filled out depending on the breed, the smaller /lighter breeds will mature quicker than a heavy one. Lighter breeds being a Midget White, Beltsville White, heavy breeds being a White Holland, Standard Bronze. Medium sized are the Bourbon Reds.

If you want a quick bird then one of the broad breasted types will be ready in 4 to 5 months.

We have raised the broad breasted types and taste wise the heritage is much much better.

Our favorite table bird in the Midget White.

Steve in NC

3. roofer

roofer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Cwmbran, South Wales
    Thanks for info.

When is the best age to slaughter a turkey?

Would it be too late to start a turkey for this chisrtmas?

Thanks again. [​IMG]

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    as a general rule Heritage breeds are around 30 weeks, and BB bronze, and Great white are around 20 weeks for butcher.

You can butcher sooner, a male Great white we did early dressed out at about 16 pounds at 16 weeks. A BB Bronze female we did at the same time was about 12 pounds.

It's getting a little late for starting turkeys for christmass, But if you butcher early with a larger bird it may work out.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by