First timer here! HELP!

lovin my birds

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Odessa, MO
So I just won some eggs off ebay. They are sebastopol eggs.
love.gif
I am wanting any info on how to hatch them. Temp? Humidity?

I will be using a hovabator! Or a LG! Whichever you all think will be better. I am really wanting some help here. I am so very nervous!

Pete posted a guide to humidity and lockdown three days ago here on the forum, you might want to read it too as it gives some good information for goose eggs. Good luck with your eggs!

i bought Sebastopol eggs on ebay, too. They have been in the incubator for over a week and all are developing. i am following Pete's incubation guide (which is a sticky at the top of the Geese section) like it's the Holy Grail. i weighed when i got them, then at about a week. Now doing the misting and cooling once a day. Hand turning five times a day. It's a lot of work, but i feel very positive.

i'm using a Hovabator Genesis forced air incubator with thermostat at about 99.4. Doing dry hatch, with no added water, but the humidity is holding at around 30%. At Day 26 i'm going to move them into my still air Hovabator, as i have heard the forced air dries the eggs out too much. And then i will raise the humidity to 70%.

Did you get all white Sebastopol eggs or the ones from the woman who has colored Sebastopols?

I got them from a lady who has just white ones. I tried to get the ones with the grey saddleback but someone outbid me. That was a little over a week ago. Hmmmmmmmm! I wonder! Lol! Congrats on the eggs. I found the stick from Pete and will be following it like its the holy grail as well.
smile.png
I have already read it twice!

is incubating eggs hard to do? it sounds like something maybe one day ill get into.

Its not hard but you simply have to follow some guidelines and do a little work to get the best possible sucess rate. Research beforehand will pay dividends so I recommendyou read as much as possible and good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Pete
wink.png

is incubating eggs hard to do? it sounds like something maybe one day ill get into.

Incubating isnt hard at all when you get into the groove of it. I have hatched myself plenty of chicken and duck and now turkey eggs since I started. I just have never done any goose eggs before and like I wa with all the others am just nervous. You never want to mess up a hatch but you must face the possibility that it wont turn out right or that you did something wrong. It took me about 3 hatches to figure out what works best for me. I just use an LG and a Hovabator the cheaper versions of incubators. Some people dont like them but I have mastered them. Though I want to move to something bigger so that I can hatch more babies at one time. But if you ever decide to start just get on here. There are plenty of people that have hatched eggs before.

Pete your post about incubating and hatching goose eggs was amazing. Very helpful! Thank you so much for writing it. I am a little less nervous now that I have an experts advice to follow through the whole thing.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom