First timer meat bird

RenaeS

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
So I have had laying hens for years. First year doing meat birds. I am trying to prep. I have the normal tote for the babies. Question is the growth rate. I have an outside pen for them where they have half the area covered on all sides and a roof to help with sun exposure and wind. When can I move them there? Temps would drop to 60s at night. Just planning for the transition from brooder to pen. I normally put them in a 4 person tent in my garden shed for the interim.

Any input would be appreciated.

What kind of meat birds are you doing? Breed plays into care a lot. Also, breed determines growth rate.

I raised cornish cross in my garage from mid January to mid March in North Alabama. I brooded in my garage and gave them enough space where they could feel the regular temperature away from the heat lamp. SO when it came to move to the coop they were acclimated. When I was processing from weeks 5-9, there were a few days when ice started forming on my outdoor processing table while I was parting out the chicken. I put the CX outside at 4 weeks old, would've done 3 if the coop had been ready earlier. Kept them in an open air fully covered run, with windbreaks on three sides. They did fine. No evidence of ascites. A few heart attacks and one case of bad legs, but that's expected for a batch of 25. I ended up with 21 in my freezer including the one whose legs gave out.

Check out this Forum's Sticky for lots of information on processing meat birds.

What kind of meat birds are you doing? Breed plays into care a lot. Also, breed determines growth rate.

I raised cornish cross in my garage from mid January to mid March in North Alabama. I brooded in my garage and gave them enough space where they could feel the regular temperature away from the heat lamp. SO when it came to move to the coop they were acclimated. When I was processing from weeks 5-9, there were a few days when ice started forming on my outdoor processing table while I was parting out the chicken. I put the CX outside at 4 weeks old, would've done 3 if the coop had been ready earlier. Kept them in an open air fully covered run, with windbreaks on three sides. They did fine. No evidence of ascites. A few heart attacks and one case of bad legs, but that's expected for a batch of 25. I ended up with 21 in my freezer including the one whose legs gave out.

Check out this Forum's Sticky for lots of information on processing meat birds.
That would be good info. Sorry, freedom rangers.

Freedom rangers are more similar to regular chicks, so you would need them to be closer to 6 weeks and fully feathered to handle the lower night temps. But, given wind protection and a roof, you could get away with 5 weeks if you precondition them to daytime temps (morning thru bedtime) for the preceding week and see how they do. Freedom rangers get butchered around 14 weeks for a good size carcass. But, it’s chicken, so you can butcher at whatever time you want.

Generally it's 3-4 weeks depending on weather and how well your birds are feathered and weaned off their heat source. I like nighttime temps to be 40 degrees or higher before I put my Cornish X out. If it's still in the 40 degree range I give them a huddle box so they can snuggle up and keep warm. It seems warm where you live so the 3-4 week thing should still be true for your Rangers in this case. Just be sure to wean them off the heat source in time. Good luck on your meat bird adventure :)

Freedom rangers are more similar to regular chicks, so you would need them to be closer to 6 weeks and fully feathered to handle the lower night temps. But, given wind protection and a roof, you could get away with 5 weeks if you precondition them to daytime temps (morning thru bedtime) for the preceding week and see how they do. Freedom rangers get butchered around 14 weeks for a good size carcass. But, it’s chicken, so you can butcher at whatever time you want.
I was just given some Rudd Rangers. They are a lot bigger than my laying Hens and I do not plan on butchering them. can they just live with the laying hens after they are acclimated to them in a few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom