First Timer Needs Help/Advice on Premature Incubation!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kallan, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kallan

kallan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    I put in an order for a Brinsea Mini Advance to arrive Jan. 2, but it has been delayed due to the weather. My dilemna is that I have jumped the gun by gathering the eggs and placing them in a plastic shoebox atop a hot water bottle resting on a nice cotton/muslim pillowcase. I then placed this container on top of one of those oil-filled electric radiators and the heat has been pretty consistent inside the box around 100 degrees to 102 degrees. One time I did hit the heater and the temp jumped to 106! Whenever I candle the eggs, the embryos are incredibly active. I do add a few caps of water to the bottom of the box for humidity. I have ordered a thermometer with a hygrometer to have for use with the Brinsea, but I haven't used anything thus far to monitor humidity. No fan and I only have the top ajar a wee bit...low oxygen. I do turn them about 5 times a day.

I had no intention of keeping these 4 standard cochin eggs like this for so long. It's been 11 days today. I am planning on moving these eggs to the Brinsea tomorrow when it is due to arrive...I hope on schedule. Do you think I have created malformed chicks by keeping them like this and should I stop caring for them and just start off with fresh eggs from my cochins? I hate to give up on them when they are so active in their little shells.
    [​IMG]

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    It's an experiment! I would keep them, and set more when/if these hatch. :)

I don't know if they will be malformed... Low humidity in the beginning is GOOD. I highly recommend the 2 links in my signature for incubating & hatching techniques.

Just FYI, you can store eggs for up to 10 days before they lose hatchability. Best to store them around 50% humidity and 55-65F with daily turning to prevent sticking.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. kallan

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    Thanks, Farmer Viola....enjoyed reading through the links. I stll wonder if I should continue these eggs on the bottle or move them into the incubator when it comes tomorrow. I only have room for 7 eggs in the Brinsea and I am unsure about having eggs at varying developmental stages. Wouldn't I need to raise humidity and stop turning on the 4 that are progressing as they get to lockdown?

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    That's right, to do a staggered hatch you would need 2 incubators, one at "regular" conditions and one at hatching conditions.. I would not add more eggs to the already started ones. I would finish these, then set more in 10 days when they hatch. They are your hens, right? So the eggs will always be there

5. kallan

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    Yes, I will always have access to more eggs! I would love to incubate a full batch, but I'll be patient and see what happens with these 4 cochin eggs. I'll candle before placing them in the incubator to make sure they are viable. I think the new eggs could stand more humidity at hatching time as long as I reduced it soon after hatching, but the auto turner would not work for the 4 going into lockdown.

I have a trio of Swedish Flower Hens, but they won't be laying until the end of February/March. I'm looking forward to working with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by