First Timer Needs Help/Advice on Premature Incubation!!!

kallan

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Hardy, VA
I put in an order for a Brinsea Mini Advance to arrive Jan. 2, but it has been delayed due to the weather. My dilemna is that I have jumped the gun by gathering the eggs and placing them in a plastic shoebox atop a hot water bottle resting on a nice cotton/muslim pillowcase. I then placed this container on top of one of those oil-filled electric radiators and the heat has been pretty consistent inside the box around 100 degrees to 102 degrees. One time I did hit the heater and the temp jumped to 106! Whenever I candle the eggs, the embryos are incredibly active. I do add a few caps of water to the bottom of the box for humidity. I have ordered a thermometer with a hygrometer to have for use with the Brinsea, but I haven't used anything thus far to monitor humidity. No fan and I only have the top ajar a wee bit...low oxygen. I do turn them about 5 times a day.

I had no intention of keeping these 4 standard cochin eggs like this for so long. It's been 11 days today. I am planning on moving these eggs to the Brinsea tomorrow when it is due to arrive...I hope on schedule. Do you think I have created malformed chicks by keeping them like this and should I stop caring for them and just start off with fresh eggs from my cochins? I hate to give up on them when they are so active in their little shells.

It's an experiment! I would keep them, and set more when/if these hatch. :)

I don't know if they will be malformed... Low humidity in the beginning is GOOD. I highly recommend the 2 links in my signature for incubating & hatching techniques.

Just FYI, you can store eggs for up to 10 days before they lose hatchability. Best to store them around 50% humidity and 55-65F with daily turning to prevent sticking.

Last edited:
Thanks, Farmer Viola....enjoyed reading through the links. I stll wonder if I should continue these eggs on the bottle or move them into the incubator when it comes tomorrow. I only have room for 7 eggs in the Brinsea and I am unsure about having eggs at varying developmental stages. Wouldn't I need to raise humidity and stop turning on the 4 that are progressing as they get to lockdown?

That's right, to do a staggered hatch you would need 2 incubators, one at "regular" conditions and one at hatching conditions.. I would not add more eggs to the already started ones. I would finish these, then set more in 10 days when they hatch. They are your hens, right? So the eggs will always be there

Yes, I will always have access to more eggs! I would love to incubate a full batch, but I'll be patient and see what happens with these 4 cochin eggs. I'll candle before placing them in the incubator to make sure they are viable. I think the new eggs could stand more humidity at hatching time as long as I reduced it soon after hatching, but the auto turner would not work for the 4 going into lockdown.

I have a trio of Swedish Flower Hens, but they won't be laying until the end of February/March. I'm looking forward to working with them.

Back
Top Bottom