First Timer - Panicking

Our FRILLY chicken.. I have no IDEA what kind of chicken it is..but Farily Certain it IS a chicken..

Outing today for the older chicks.. Chicks are 4 1/2weeks old, ducks are 3 weeks old.

All of mine are holding up strong. Nobody seems weak or anything. They're starting to get more adventurous and lively, though. They're only 6 days old but they're running around the brooder like crazy. I know I'm going to have to get a bigger one as they grow. The little roo is the one who is the most rambunctious.

Still struggling with pasty butt, though. *Sigh*

Those ducks are adorable! They're feathering in really slow. You said Khaki Campbell?

Sorry about the pasty butt. As long as you keep on top of it it should go away with age, at least. If it continues as they near week two I'd start getting truly concerned. You can't be wiping off two year old hen butts twice a day...

Ugh, okay, the Buff Orpington just keeps getting pasty butt. Like, every time I check, I have to go get the q-tips. And it's just the Buff Orp!

So, I've been wetting her butt often with wet q-tips and it's to the point where her bum fluff is just matted down. I try to dry the fluff when I'm done, but it doesn't always work. Should I be worried about damaging her chick fluff on her butt from all this pasty butt? Or will she be okay after feathering out?

They shipped! *Deep breath* Whew. I can do this.

keep posting! Im in the process of building my chicken coop now so it will be ready in the spring for our very first chicks! You make me feel not so alone here! All the chicken pro advice is so great but can make me feel sometimes like more of a novice. Im like huh? What are they talking about?!?! Lol I want to know everything your going through any problems ect..... Keep it up. Surely it can't be as hard as raising children?!?? Im very excited and not just a little overwhelmed!

Ugh, okay, the Buff Orpington just keeps getting pasty butt. Like, every time I check, I have to go get the q-tips. And it's just the Buff Orp!

So, I've been wetting her butt often with wet q-tips and it's to the point where her bum fluff is just matted down. I try to dry the fluff when I'm done, but it doesn't always work. Should I be worried about damaging her chick fluff on her butt from all this pasty butt? Or will she be okay after feathering out?

Her butt should be okay once the pastybutt clears up. Are you putting some olive oil on her bum so it's easier to clean up? That might help. Are you adding any probiotics to her diet? Or Apple Cider Vinegar or yogurt? The pastybutt is just the symptom of the digestive process being off. Otherwise does she seem to be doing ok? Eating, drinking, active? Hang in there.

keep posting! Im in the process of building my chicken coop now so it will be ready in the spring for our very first chicks! You make me feel not so alone here! All the chicken pro advice is so great but can make me feel sometimes like more of a novice. Im like huh? What are they talking about?!?! Lol I want to know everything your going through any problems ect..... Keep it up. Surely it can't be as hard as raising children?!?? Im very excited and not just a little overwhelmed!

Focus on the excitement!
wink.png

By the time your chicks get here you'll be an old pro from reading all this stuff too! I've only been at it for 6 weeks and have learned SO much from this group! Even about stuff I haven't had to deal with. Just let people know if you don't know what they're talking about! Took me a while to figure out some of the initials people were using!
idunno.gif

Focus on the excitement! 
;)

By the time your chicks get here you'll be an old pro from reading all this stuff too!  I've only been at it for 6 weeks and have learned SO much from this group!   Even about stuff I haven't had to deal with.  Just let people know if you don't know what they're talking about!  Took me a while to figure out some of the initials people were using!  :idunno

Thanks so much people on here are all so nice! This is the first time I've heard anything about pasty butt so now I've added any new chick problems to something I need to be reading up on.... Lol. I don't want to run away with this forum....but i was wondering if any one had any advice on small children with chickens? I have a five year old and two year old who are both way more animal people than people people. We went to a petting zoo where they had Nigeria dwarf goats a pot belly pig and several very small chickens (i think bantams) when we left they cried lol. Im hoping that the egg picks up will in short order become my oldest daughters chore because team work makes the dream work! I understand about not letting them hold the very small chicks but after that just turn them loose? My two year old will be the worst she refuses to go to sleep without our dog snoring away by her bed, helps milk my papaws dairy cows, and thinks my aunts pig is her personal pillow. Sigh she has a case of snow white syndrome thinks she should sing a little and all animals should come running. Any advice on my little animal whisperer and chickens?

Thanks so much people on here are all so nice! This is the first time I've heard anything about pasty butt so now I've added any new chick problems to something I need to be reading up on.... Lol. I don't want to run away with this forum....but i was wondering if any one had any advice on small children with chickens? I have a five year old and two year old who are both way more animal people than people people. We went to a petting zoo where they had Nigeria dwarf goats a pot belly pig and several very small chickens (i think bantams) when we left they cried lol. Im hoping that the egg picks up will in short order become my oldest daughters chore because team work makes the dream work! I understand about not letting them hold the very small chicks but after that just turn them loose? My two year old will be the worst she refuses to go to sleep without our dog snoring away by her bed, helps milk my papaws dairy cows, and thinks my aunts pig is her personal pillow. Sigh she has a case of snow white syndrome thinks she should sing a little and all animals should come running. Any advice on my little animal whisperer and chickens?

Pasty butt is probably one of the most common things that can occur early on. But the good thing is nearly everyone has dealt with it so there is plenty of advice!

My kids aren't that little but my 10 year old has ADHD so could be a little comparable!
gig.gif
When the chicks are very tiny you'll have to be doing most of the handling. One of the things I did for the first week was made a "Visiting" box that was only about 8-2 inches deep. The girls could sit on the floor with the small box on the floor between them and that way there wasn't a risk of chicks getting dropped etc. I'll see if I can find a picture. Then the best thing was that one of our friends who does 4H came over and showed them a good chick hold. (Chick sitting in your hand beak pointing toward your arm. Middle finger goes through their legs and their legs hang down between your fingers. - Again will try to find a picture). It seemed to calm the chicks.

Couldn't find pic of the "visiting box" But here is a pic of one of our 5 week chicks in the hold. See how relaxed she is. Only one of our chicks doesn't settle down.

Back
Top Bottom