First timer.... Please Share your opinions.

moulie18

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi, I am about to make an incubator, and I have a plastic sheet. Yesterday I cut them and made a box shape so far. But someone told me that it should NOT be all plastic, as because of the high humidity, water gets down on the floor all the time and raises the humidity, so it would be difficult to control it.
sad.png

I am about to put the lights and the vent today, once I will be sure that all plastic could do the job.

Here is the photo of my will be incubator.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/incubator.jpg/

Please advice.
Thanks a lot.
Moulie.

Last edited:
You will want to have some holes for ventilation, but I don't see why it wouldn't work... as long as it will hold temp and it's put into a stable temp environment.

My LG is all stryofoam--8 holes on top and another 8 on bottom for constant air movement. AND 2 additional homes on top about 1/2 inch each.Ventilation is very important--growing chicks need lots of oxygen.

Go for it!! Constant temp is easier on you--you need amethod to manage the on off of heater to keep a narrow margin of temperature; I've heard to put the monitor that control on off close to the heat source. ( I did a lot of reading about makeing one; didn't think I could make one without testing a lot of eggs.) GL

welcome-byc.gif

Most people use water heater thermostats with the metal side out close to the bulb (usually no further then 2 inches, the closer the better and less temp fluctuation).

I think this is a good idea.

Don't forget you'll want to be adding water! I'd do a raised bottom. Get some mesh or something, that way, you'll have lots of room to add water to the bottom without a risk of chicks drowning.

Hi, Thanks for reply,

I raised the bottom too and the water will be under the mesh.

How about if I put 2 small containers for humidity and fill only one until the 3 days before hatching? Once it's about to be last 3rd days, if I fill the other one as well to increase the humidity?

Also, I only made 5 small holes(as wide as pen gets through) on the Top lid for air circulation, is that enough??? Or shall I do some more on the edges??

Thanks a lot.

This is the latest photo beore adding a fan and Thermostat.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/incubator4.jpg/

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom