1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ClydeInHewitt, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ClydeInHewitt

ClydeInHewitt New Egg

Jun 9, 2007
    Howdy folks,
    I received 18 cute little chicks about 3 weeks ago. I ordered 10 Amercaunas pullets and received extra "... males to keep the chicks warm." Problem is, I can only keep 5 (preferrably females) and I have no clue how to tell the difference other than colors. A neat observation, some of them hav greenish legs and the others have the typical yellowish.
    Any ideas on how I can distinguish my females from the others, preferrably before they reach full size?

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Hmm... if you post a few pictures here we might be able to help. I'm pretty good at picking out Ameraucanas since thats what we have too. [​IMG] As for the 'males for warmth', are these the ones with the yellow legs? If you can post a few pictures and I will help you as best I can. [​IMG]

3. ClydeInHewitt

ClydeInHewitt New Egg

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks 4H kids and mom!
    I have lots of pics and will try to post them. How do I go about posting the pictures?

4. ClydeInHewitt

ClydeInHewitt New Egg

Jun 9, 2007
    OK, I think I've re-sized my photos and can post them to y avatar.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by