1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FIRST TIMER QUESTIONS HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Marissa Van, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Marissa Van

Marissa Van Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi there our family is a first timer on breeding and hatching quail. We are turning our shed into a quail coop. I have multiple questions can you guys help!? :)

1) what is the best incubator to use!? Homemade or just buy a incubator and turner?

2) how many quails should we start out with? We want them for eggs and to fill our freezer ( possibly sell to family and friends)

3) hanging feeders or ones that go on the floor best?

4) what's "pip"

5) what does " lockdown" mean
    I know I have multiple questions still but drawing a blank.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    An external "pip" is the first hole made in the egg once the chick starts hatching.
    [​IMG]

An internal pip is when the chick pierces the air sac, it can only been seen during candling, which, is
    not recommended when you have hatching babies. :)

"Lockdown" Is the last 3 days of incubation. You raise the humidity, stop turning and keep the incubator
    CLOSED. Sit on your hands. The incubator is "Locked down". [​IMG] I personally have been using my little
    giant incubators for the past 4 years and have had great results. Most will tell you they're not the best
    incubators and have been known for temp fluctuations, and are not the best for beginners especially.

For my quail I always use floor feeders. Be sure you've got extra shallow waterers too because quail
    babies are tiny and very *ahem* VERY clumsy. It's not uncommon for them to drown in the water dish.

Good luck!

3. Marissa Van

Marissa Van Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    How many would you say is a good amount to have just for meat and eggs for a family of 4?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by