First timer with Ducks

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
my father in law has ducks, and has asked me to incubate a few of the eggs.

I incubate chicks all season long....I need to learn what to do with Duck eggs
hu.gif
..........ANY INFO greatly appreciated

hugs.gif

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
OK...so first off.... They are way cuter than chicks- so make sure you draw up a legal contract with your FIL about the delivery of the hatched ducklings so that you cant keep them for yourself
lau.gif
gig.gif

But seriously... They take longer to hacth - 4 weeks for ducks other than muscovies who take 5 weeks.

Temp is the same- but humidity needs to be higher- so you might want to plan things so you can do the ducklings on their own depending on your set up. About 55% during the main incubation period- and then 80 % for lockdown.

Duck heaps do much better laying in their sides - so a roll turning incubator or hand turning is best for them.

There is a start for you- but there is a thread on here just started recently - I think it was also made into a sticky.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462667

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
ok, i'm going to read the thread you gave...

I was hoping to do ducks with my chicks, but if the humidity has to be that much higher it will NOT work
sad.png

I might have to just do the couple little duck eggs first. I only have about 3.

But, I have 30 chicken eggs I can lay at a time.

and i wish i could keep the ducks...my FIL wants them bc he has a huge pond..I have no water near me. They'd be better off with him
wink.png
But, I'm sure as I do with my chickies...i'll fall in love right off the bat
droolin.gif

THANKS for the info
hugs.gif

4-H chicken mom

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Oberlin, OH
IMO the only way to incubate chick and duck eggs is to have a separate hatcher for the ducks. Also, I hand turn all my duck eggs. They don't seem to do well in auto turners. Good luck
jumpy.gif

Top Bottom