First timer with questions

RenaeS

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
I am not new to chickens I have 12 layers. I am new to a meat bird. I have property they can free range on.
Question 1- How long do they need a heat lamp? Since they grow quicker I'm trying to figure out the transition.
Question 2- since they can free range I worry about predators. Ravens mainly since they will be in an enclosure at night. Surely in the 15 I am getting there must be a rooster who would keep em safe?

Thanks for the help and input!! I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Oh sorry yes that would help. Freedom rangers.
Remove heat once they're fully feathered, whenever that is. This time of year, 4 weeks max is pretty usual, sooner if your weather is warm.

Are you buying unsexed (straight run) or sexed males or sexed females? If you're buying straight run, odds are good for about 50% roosters. They usually get along pretty well until it's time to butcher, I think? Freedom rangers are known for free ranging well, but they are still meat birds and chickens. Unless you know your area predators well and are prepared to put time into supervising them when they are out, or have methods of predator dissuasion (dogs, electric fence, etc) be prepared for losses. Unless they are in a totally enclosed coop and run, losses of some amount due to predators are expected. Roosters will sound an alarm but generally not fight off a predator and live to tell about it.

Good luck!!!

Question 2- since they can free range I worry about predators. Ravens mainly since they will be in an enclosure at night. Surely in the 15 I am getting there must be a rooster who would keep em safe?
I think you are talking about 15 Freedom Ranger chicks. None of the boys will be old enough to offer any protection before they are butchered.

I don't know where you are or what predators you have but people pasture Freedom Rangers all the time. That's why they were developed, to forage better than the Cornish X. It is hard to talk about predators with any assurance. You are always at risk of predators anywhere or anytime. Even at night a weasel can get through a very small hole in your coop. Some people that free range or even have them in runs are wiped out pretty quickly, often by a predator they did not expect. To me. dogs are a huge risk. Also many people don't have problems with predators for years. They just don't. I have no idea what will happen with yours if you try to free range or even pen them in an area to forage in. There is always a risk no matter what you do. Even you being out there is no guarantee, people have had hawks, foxes, or coyotes snatch a chicken within fifteen feet of where they were standing. You have to balance your concern over predators and determine if the benefits of free ranging outweigh the risks for you. Free ranging may not be the right choice for you.

Back
Top Bottom