First Timer ...

misspea78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Well, sort of... I hatched a chick a few years ago in my classroom incubator. But it feels like the first time ... I can't stop watching them! I have the incubator home today and there are 5 eggs. Today is officially day 20 since they were put in the incubator, but they sat at around 70 degrees (RT) for two days prior to incubation. They are red-crosses from a friend of mine's dad. They started chirping pretty loudly this morning and the first one pipped around noon. There has been a teeeny bit of progress with that one. I can see it moving around and chirping, but no change in hours. I noticed around 3:30 that another one pipped, but the indentation goes in rather than out ... is that normal?? I don't hear any more pecking or chirping from that egg. A third egg is pipped and starting to zip ... its furiously pecking and chirping. Feel good about that little guy, but the other 2 have me a bit concerned ... thoughts?? I'm nervous to go to sleep later and wake to no more chirping ...

Yeah that is normal

They should hatch by tomorrow
smile.png
mine didnt cheep till hatching day

Just try and be patient. That is easy to say but so hard to do. I have some hatching today, and they seem to be taking their sweet time about it. No matter how many times I do this, it is pure torture to not be able to do anything except let them do what comes natural.

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

First one with very little progress has hatched and is wobbling around chirping up a storm! Wow, ironic that all that progress occurred when I wasn't paying attention. And the other one with the bigger crack is zipping now at a pretty rapid rate. Looks good so far ... I'll post when I have more updates. Thanks so much for getting right back to me. This is nerve wracking!

Marilyn

Hi misspea78, Welcome to BackYard Chickens!
big_smile.png

It sounds like everything is fine. The tiniest things get us all concerned when hatching

eggs.
tongue.png
But, patients is the key. Remember, opening the incubator during hatch is a

no-no, and chicks can stay in there up to 72 hours with-out food or water.

They get the nutrients from the absorbed yolk, so don't be in a rush to take the fluffy

monsters out as soon as they dry. Hope they all hatch well for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Scissor

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom