First Timer!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunflowerparrot, Nov 2, 2012.

1. sunflowerparrot

sunflowerparrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    So- I happened to be a VERY luck winner on Brinsea Facebook and won the 20 chick brooder. So, I decided to go ahead and purchase the 20 chick incubator too. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing :)

At this time, I have 1 rooster and 2 hens that just start laying. I also have 15 chicks that will start laying in about 5 more months. I gathered egg number 1 from the nest box today and set it aside. I will collect 6 eggs and put them in the incubator.

I was told I will need to get a small thermometer and humidity gauge that will fit in the incubator - can someone give me some links to where I can purchase those items for the size I need to fit in there?

I have subscribed to this group and look forward to learning and starting a new adventure!

2. celticgarden

celticgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Well congratulations! Your post has me looking for future contests.

Which incubator did you purchase. Was it the Mini Eco (auto temp, manual turn), the Mini advance (auto temp, auto turn) or other?

3. sunflowerparrot

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    The Eco - I am already wondering how I am going to turn the eggs - how often - hot to keep the humidity/temperature level stable if I'm always having to open it and turn the eggs... I'm such a momma hen! lol

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If your hens just started laying you might want to wait a little while, pullet eggs are smaller than the eggs they will lay in a few weeks, and have a poorer hatch rate

5. sunflowerparrot

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    Good to know - thank you - One has been laying for 2 weeks now... how long should I give her?

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If you have the octagonally shaped one, you turn the whole thing from one slanted side to the other. There's no need to open it. I have used a couple of different Brinsea incubators. I just follow the directions, and don't bother with thermometers, etc. If you really want them, go the the reptile section of a pet store. They have small ones there. Fluctuations from opening are more of a problem with BIG incubators. The small ones reheat quickly in my experience.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. sunflowerparrot

Jun 1, 2012
    Winfield, KS
    Good idea :) Well - they are going to ship the brooder and incubator tomorrow... I will learn all I can before getting too started. I am happy I found this group!!

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    We were all beginners once. Incubating the first time can be very stressful, but it's really not that hard. Minor drops in temps and humidity are not a big deal. The hen gets off her eggs at least once a day to eat and do her business. The eggs survive. Heat spikes are more dangerous. Try to make sure your incubator is in a place with stable temps and humidity.
    It's all in the intructions that come with the equipment.

9. CReagan

CReagan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    i bought a digital temp and hydrometer from walmart for i think $15 the brand is ACU-RITE and i've had great luck with it! i run my temp about 99/100 and for the 1st 18days 45-50% humidity and then day 18 raise it to 60-65% and that worked great for me! i'm on my 2nd round i just hatched 4 chicks on halloween! :)) good luck and i wish you the best!

10. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    On the eggs with the first small ones. I'd crack one or two open and check for fertility. Also after a week they start to get bigger. Over time they over course will be full size. But rooster and hens when things first start happening doesn't alway lead to fertile eggs. I found in my limited experience about 2 weeks after I'm seeing action going on then they start have regular fertility marks when cracked. Look for the bullseye. If you do a search here for fertile egg or bullseye should pop right up. Probably under a sticky too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by