First Timer!

sunflowerparrot

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Winfield, KS
So- I happened to be a VERY luck winner on Brinsea Facebook and won the 20 chick brooder. So, I decided to go ahead and purchase the 20 chick incubator too. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing :)

At this time, I have 1 rooster and 2 hens that just start laying. I also have 15 chicks that will start laying in about 5 more months. I gathered egg number 1 from the nest box today and set it aside. I will collect 6 eggs and put them in the incubator.

I was told I will need to get a small thermometer and humidity gauge that will fit in the incubator - can someone give me some links to where I can purchase those items for the size I need to fit in there?

I have subscribed to this group and look forward to learning and starting a new adventure!

The Eco - I am already wondering how I am going to turn the eggs - how often - hot to keep the humidity/temperature level stable if I'm always having to open it and turn the eggs... I'm such a momma hen! lol

The Eco - I am already wondering how I am going to turn the eggs - how often - hot to keep the humidity/temperature level stable if I'm always having to open it and turn the eggs... I'm such a momma hen! lol
If you have the octagonally shaped one, you turn the whole thing from one slanted side to the other. There's no need to open it. I have used a couple of different Brinsea incubators. I just follow the directions, and don't bother with thermometers, etc. If you really want them, go the the reptile section of a pet store. They have small ones there. Fluctuations from opening are more of a problem with BIG incubators. The small ones reheat quickly in my experience.

Last edited:
Good idea :) Well - they are going to ship the brooder and incubator tomorrow... I will learn all I can before getting too started. I am happy I found this group!!

We were all beginners once. Incubating the first time can be very stressful, but it's really not that hard. Minor drops in temps and humidity are not a big deal. The hen gets off her eggs at least once a day to eat and do her business. The eggs survive. Heat spikes are more dangerous. Try to make sure your incubator is in a place with stable temps and humidity.
It's all in the intructions that come with the equipment.

i bought a digital temp and hydrometer from walmart for i think $15 the brand is ACU-RITE and i've had great luck with it! i run my temp about 99/100 and for the 1st 18days 45-50% humidity and then day 18 raise it to 60-65% and that worked great for me! i'm on my 2nd round i just hatched 4 chicks on halloween! :)) good luck and i wish you the best!

On the eggs with the first small ones. I'd crack one or two open and check for fertility. Also after a week they start to get bigger. Over time they over course will be full size. But rooster and hens when things first start happening doesn't alway lead to fertile eggs. I found in my limited experience about 2 weeks after I'm seeing action going on then they start have regular fertility marks when cracked. Look for the bullseye. If you do a search here for fertile egg or bullseye should pop right up. Probably under a sticky too.

Back
Top Bottom