First timers in San Jose

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Hi there!
frow.gif
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! I have heard chickens that get to eat a lot of green grass have less bad cholesterol in the yolks. Not sure about omega 3 though. If your chickens get to free range, you will see how much they crave greens. They love kale, chard, cabbage, broccoli, and other leafy veggies and sprouts. Some folks feed alfalfa too.

CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread will have info on the first page that lists some of the chicken fanatics in our state.

Come join us on California - Northern too. Lots of friendly folks on here and I know there are a few right near you. I bet someone would have some info regarding your omega 3 question.

Enjoy your chicks, they grow fast.
jumpy.gif
And with any luck you should be getting eggs this summer!

Hi, LosPollosLocos, and welcome!

I just finished transforming an old shed into a chicken coop and also live in San Jose. How was your experience at Sam's? I am looking for a good supplier of feed and pine shavings, before my chicks arrive.

Last edited:
Sam's is good. I've recently bought my pine shavings from An-Jan Feed and Pet Supply on Monterey. They have food in bulk and a variety of seeds and grains. I've been trying different feeds to see what works for us--looking to get away from pellets or crumbles and more to whole seeds and grains so the hens can choose what they need. An-Jan also sells live or freeze dried meal worms.

Back
Top Bottom