First timr hatching eggs. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrAzYeLiTe22, Nov 16, 2009.

1. CrAzYeLiTe22

CrAzYeLiTe22 New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    ok so i am hatching chicken eggs for the first time. 3 hatched during the night last night and are all fine. Now one hatched and there is still a yoke like substance hanging from the rear side of the chick. What should i do???????

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Leave it alone in the incubator. There's nothing you can do but hope that it dries up on its own. It probably will unless it's huge.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If the chick is still lying down and not up running around this is what I do. I wrap with a moist towel and then I wrap saran wrap around that. That will keep the yolk moist and hopefully the chick will finish absorbing the yolk.

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:If you have to do this please get your humidity up if you still have others that need to hatch so their membranes don't shrink around them.

5. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

Is it the entire chick that's wrapped up in the towel and then saran wrap?

Georgia in Alabama

6. Her name is Helen

Her name is Helen New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    If the substance is dark yellow like actual egg yolk, then leave it alone and hopefully it will be absorbed. If it looks like a human nose booger or snot, whatever you want to call it, it is a normal occurrence and will fall off by itself. I personally hatch about 4 - 8 eggs a day and I just pull the booger off when I remove the eggshell from the incubator as it just dries up and makes a small mess on the mesh floor. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by