First try need help. Lots of it.

Evilkitty162

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Myakka City
I plan to try Rhode Island Reds, White Leghorns, and some Mutts.

I need help. Which way do eggs sit in bator, little end up or down? What the humity need to be? What the temp need to be? And the whole nine yards.

P.S. I want to put them in the bator on Christmas day.

Last edited:
You should do a search of this forum for this kind of thing...It has been covered 100 times.

Good luck!

Here's a link that should explain all the basics.

If you are incubating the eggs in an egg tray, then the position that you it says to store the eggs in is the same for the incubation period: pointy-end down.

http://shilala.com/incubating.html

Good luck!
smile.png

Hey, evilkitty 162

Go to the index, incubating & hatching eggs, and click on the sticky about hatching, then study through the links there. It's got everything you need!

Even I was able to learn something there, and I'm not that bright!
lol.png

The temp needs to be 99.5 and humidity around 45 - 50%. and bit end up. That is where the air cell is. Although this issue has been covered hundreds of times does't matter. A questions is a question that needs to be answered.

There are some that have better luck with different Humidity %. Personally for myself I keep mine between 40 nd 50%. Some times it falls below that but it hasn't hurt anythng as of yet. When you put them on lock down on the 18th day raise the humidity to around 60% but don't go too high. They can drown in the egg before they have a chance to get out. I am using an LG which has wells in the bottom. I keep them filled until the 18th day. I also have 2 sponges that are sitting in foil that I made a tray out of and I keep those two wet also during the 3 days. If I still have staggared hatched dates, I just let the sponges dry up. I also take the chicks out of the bator and into an already warm brooder to dry and fluff up. You can leave them in the bator for up to 3 days if you wish. Which is better if you can. I can't due to home made turners. They will get hurt.

I like to keep my temps a little higher more around 100 to 101.5 degrees. My house is heated with electric heaters and temsp go down at night which makes the bater temp go down also. So it also depends on the environment your bator is sitting in. It needs to be in a spot that is draft free and the temp is more regular. I read somebody keeps theirs in a closet. Don't use the bathroom because of the humidity can get too high. ONce you put the eggs in let the temp and humidity stabilize for at least 24 hours. Do't go tweeking it. I put wash cloths over the windows on my LG and it helps to hold in the heat. You don't want to close the vent holes because they need the air circulation. If yo have problems keeping the humidity up and your bator has plugs, put them in. If it gets too hig take them out. I've read on here not to open the bator anymore than absolutely necessary but if my temps get to 102 I open the windows to let out the heat faster. Don't want baked eggs.

I have tubes like you use in a fish takn through a couple vent holes that lead to the water wells in the bottom and use one of those syringes to inject seasonings into meat to add water into the tubes. It works great for me. My home made turners are made out of wire cloths hangers and the bottoms of egg cartons with the bottoms cut out for circulation. They are wired to the hangers and the hanger part is inserted through the side of my bator and I use a vise grip to hold the turner in the position I want. I usually take the eggs out that are on lock down so I can put more in. I just lay them to the side. I keep a thermometer/ydrometer under a window so I can keep an eye on those. They sell them at Walmart for about $7.00 and require a AAA battery. I do open my bator during hatching if I have to to remove hatched chicks or replace tubes that have been moved from chicks rolling eggs. I had my first 100% hatch last week and expect another one in a few days. They go on lock down tomorrow. I'm expecting 15 chicks. For me that is the most at one time to hatch. I'm sure i'll be up all night again.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you need. There is also a chat that may get you faster answers.

What are you using as an incubator? is it home made or a store bought one? Does it have a fan or still air?

Good luck on your first try! I'll be watching this thread closely for your progress updates
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom