First Winter in Maryland covered run should it be wrapped in winter?

I see so many posts but couldn’t really find anyone in my area. My chickens so far seem to enjoy the cooler temperatures (28 at night and 32-50 in days). Wondering if there is any need to wrap the fully covered run in plastic? My hens have access to their coop all day but seem to hang in the covered run. This is our first year in winter temps. What temps are a concern for wrapping the run? I currently just change their water often to keep from freezing. We do not currently have electric at the coop or run. Thank you
Post some pics of your coop and run.
Main thing would be to block wind, especially if their water is out there.
Good to cover the wall of run that gets the predominant wind.
Straw would be better than hay, but both may mold and/or harbor rodents, and not a very tall wind block, not a good idea IMO.

Hi.

Could you show us pictures of your run...?
And of your chickens, while you are at that?

Chicken are cold hardy
, but to help them, you could want to :
- put a lot of straw in their coop (a piece of advice : do not use hay, because hay could cause some serious health risks to your birds),
- block the wind - at least the dominant ones - AND the rain (and snow) in their run,
- install at least 1 wooden perch (sheltered from the wind and the rain).
Your chicken will really appreciate to be able to perch in order to warm up their feet!!

Change their water regularly, and let your chickens have continuous access to their food : they can take the cold, but they need to eat a lot to stay warm!

You don't need electricity. Don't worry!
(Your are already doing very good by caring so much and seeking to learn!)

Look... I really don't know how cold it gets in America, but I live in Auvergne, and trust me when I say my department is really, really COLD in winter...
I had -5 to -8 °C (23 °F to 17,6 °F) these last mornings, and so, for several days, the ground has been ICE most of the time... but my chickens are FINE!
(I only have Omlet coops, so my birds are warmer during the nights compared with others... but for the time being, I open their runs between 5 and 6 in the mornings, so apart for the late risers, they get out in the DARK, and so, in the colder temperatures of the days...!)

I could not use electricity to warm up my chickens if I wanted to : electricity has become so expensive in France I could not even use it to warm up my home...
(You also have this problem in some American states... right?)
Truthfully, I don't think I even know somebody who use electric heaters in their coops! (I didn't even know that was a thing until I saw some foreign videos on Youtube...!)
...Our chickens nevertheless remain in good health through the winters!!

(In addition : I know electric heaters could be dangerous, because they could catch fire...?)

Actually, I would tell you humidity is more dangerous to chickens than the cold...!
But you could put plastic gratings to cover the ground in your run, so your chickens don't walk in puddle or mud... That's what I do, so when it rains, my chickens can stay completely dry. And so, they don't get scaly legs!

(If you want to, you could always give Vitamins, Proteins, or just herbs and/or spices, to your chickens... to help them to stay strong in cold weathers, and so, to reduce risks of diseases.
And if you are not sure what you CAN give them... why not just put thyme in their feeder? Thyme is safe to use, and good for your chickens!)

Good luck.

...21hens-incharge... would you pleaaaase post pictures of your coop...?
(I don't know yet how to link your pseudo to warn you I talk to youuuuu...!!)

I really would want to see pictures of your coop, but cleared of all this snow!

What IS it? A converted big crate dog...? I have only ever seen that "igloo" shape on dog kennels and Eglu Classic (Omlet)...

5'10" tall for the door... so, almost 180 cm... Did I convert that correctly? That would make a really big coop... (AMAZING!!)

I have seen some pretty big coops in America and in Canada, thanks to Youtube... That's impressive.
But are you not bothered, concerning your laws...? Do you not pay heavy taxes for your coops?
And do you not have a limited number of birds you are allowed to own? (Do big coop automatically means big flock, in America...?)

Can you please post pictures?

Hi.

Could you show us pictures of your run...?
And of your chickens, while you are at that?

Chicken are cold hardy
, but to help them, you could want to :
- put a lot of straw in their coop (a piece of advice : do not use hay, because hay could cause some serious health risks to your birds),
- block the wind - at least the dominant ones - AND the rain (and snow) in their run,
- install at least 1 wooden perch (sheltered from the wind and the rain).
Your chicken will really appreciate to be able to perch in order to warm up their feet!!

Change their water regularly, and let your chickens have continuous access to their food : they can take the cold, but they need to eat a lot to stay warm!

You don't need electricity. Don't worry!
(Your are already doing very good by caring so much and seeking to learn!)

Look... I really don't know how cold it gets in America, but I live in Auvergne, and trust me when I say my department is really, really COLD in winter...
I had -5 to -8 °C (23 °F to 17,6 °F) these last mornings, and so, for several days, the ground has been ICE most of the time... but my chickens are FINE!
(I only have Omlet coops, so my birds are warmer during the nights compared with others... but for the time being, I open their runs between 5 and 6 in the mornings, so apart for the late risers, they get out in the DARK, and so, in the colder temperatures of the days...!)

I could not use electricity to warm up my chickens if I wanted to : electricity has become so expensive in France I could not even use it to warm up my home...
(You also have this problem in some American states... right?)
Truthfully, I don't think I even know somebody who use electric heaters in their coops! (I didn't even know that was a thing until I saw some foreign videos on Youtube...!)
...Our chickens nevertheless remain in good health through the winters!!

(In addition : I know electric heaters could be dangerous, because they could catch fire...?)

Actually, I would tell you humidity is more dangerous to chickens than the cold...!
But you could put plastic gratings to cover the ground in your run, so your chickens don't walk in puddle or mud... That's what I do, so when it rains, my chickens can stay completely dry. And so, they don't get scaly legs!

(If you want to, you could always give Vitamins, Proteins, or just herbs and/or spices, to your chickens... to help them to stay strong in cold weathers, and so, to reduce risks of diseases.
And if you are not sure what you CAN give them... why not just put thyme in their feeder? Thyme is safe to use, and good for your chickens!)

Good luck.

What IS it? A converted big crate dog...? I have only ever seen that "igloo" shape on dog kennels and Eglu Classic (Omlet)...

5'10" tall for the door... so, almost 180 cm... Did I convert that correctly? That would make a really big coop... (AMAZING!!)

I have seen some pretty big coops in America and in Canada, thanks to Youtube... That's impressive.
But are you not bothered, concerning your laws...? Do you not pay heavy taxes for your coops?
And do you not have a limited number of birds you are allowed to own? (Do big coop automatically means big flock, in America...?)

Attachments

• IMG_1805.png
    IMG_1805.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1804.png
    IMG_1804.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 25
Wow... Thank you for the pictures.

Did you build your coop yourself? It would be impressive!
That's some good work, in any case... : the build is beautiful, looks sturdy, and the roof is CUTE!
(Would I sound crazy if I say the inside of the run looks homely...?)

We can easily notice you love your chickens!

You could get some tarps on the sides on the run. (Transparent, preferably, IF you don't let your chickens freerange) Just so the wind is blocked... But you don't need to do so excessively : let some wind in so it ventilates your run. (The air should remain pure!)

Wow... Thank you for the pictures.

Did you build your coop yourself? It would be impressive!
That's some good work, in any case... : the build is beautiful, looks sturdy, and the roof is CUTE!
(Would I sound crazy if I say the inside of the run looks homely...?)

We can easily notice you love your chickens!

You could get some tarps on the sides on the run. (Transparent, preferably, IF you don't let your chickens freerange) Just so the wind is blocked... But you don't need to do so excessively : let some wind in so it ventilates your run. (The air should remain pure!)
Thank You, Yes my husband built it. I think it is comfy for the hens for sure. Plenty of things for them to get up off the cold ground. Thank you

That picture is actually of a hoop run attached to a 6 ft x 8 ft chicken house. It took me a week to dig into that chicken run. My big chicken house is 8 ft by 14 ft with a 16x26 chicken run.
All that snow made me take that chicken run down and merge everyone into the bigger house that way I only have to dig out once.

When I get home from work I'll try to remember to post additional pictures of that setup. I don't have any on my phone.
We are not taxed on our outbuildings. Yes I can have as many chickens as I can properly house and care for without creating a health hazard or nuisance where I live.

Okay... thank you, 21hens-incharge.
That's big!
In America, everything seem big : your houses, your lands, your coops...

I'm surprised you can build what you like, HOW you want to.
You are so lucky to live where you don't have to pay taxes on your coops... you can then build them bigger as you wish, or just remodel them like you want to without needing to declare it to the administration... You don't have to answer to anyone.
And that's so great! That sounds so fun to build things as a result : you can let your imagination run wild and create really personalised animal shelters...!

In addition, you can own as many chickens you can decently house...
...That is the dream... ah, ah!
(No, seriously... you have thus the possibility to be totally autonomous!!)

I'm grateful for your answers. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom