First Winter in Maryland covered run should it be wrapped in winter?

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
I see so many posts but couldn’t really find anyone in my area. My chickens so far seem to enjoy the cooler temperatures (28 at night and 32-50 in days). Wondering if there is any need to wrap the fully covered run in plastic? My hens have access to their coop all day but seem to hang in the covered run. This is our first year in winter temps. What temps are a concern for wrapping the run? I currently just change their water often to keep from freezing. We do not currently have electric at the coop or run. Thank you

The biggest reasons to wrap the run is to block the wind and keep it dry.

We get howling high wind and temps that go to negative 16° every winter here we also see deep snow. The door in this picture is 5'10" tall. Yes that is 3' of snow.
IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

The biggest reasons to wrap the run is to block the wind and keep it dry.

We get howling high wind and temps that go to negative 16° every winter here we also see deep snow. The door in this picture is 5'10" tall. Yes that is 3' of snow.
View attachment 3693380
I understand for your area wow. They are fortunate you take time to do this. We didn’t even see snow last year so I am not sure we need to wrap our run.

I wrap my run like this:

West (prevailing wind) side up to the roof. North (next most prevailing wind) side up about 4 feet, then open to the peak. The south side is mostly covered by the coop, but I cover the bits that aren't up about 2 feet. The east side is next to the garage, and I won't wrap it at all. I have some straw bales against the east side of the run to block wind down at the chickens' level.

The run is covered, but I want to block out the rain/sleet/snow that will blow in. We're on the top of a ridge, and the wind really howls in from the west and north.

Even with the wrapping, the chickens will choose to hang out in the coop at times.

I wrap my run like this:

West (prevailing wind) side up to the roof. North (next most prevailing wind) side up about 4 feet, then open to the peak. The south side is mostly covered by the coop, but I cover the bits that aren't up about 2 feet. The east side is next to the garage, and I won't wrap it at all. I have some straw bales against the east side of the run to block wind down at the chickens' level.

The run is covered, but I want to block out the rain/sleet/snow that will blow in. We're on the top of a ridge, and the wind really howls in from the west and north.

Even with the wrapping, the chickens will choose to hang out in the coop at times.
I noticed my girls in the coop the last couple day during intense wind- they're moulting so I think they get cold! I wrapped my run halfway up last year and that helped. it's on my to do list this week.

How cold does it get in your area, and how much snow do you see? How bad are your winter storms?

I've never seen need to winterize but I haven't seen temps below 12F and we don't tend to get really bad storms. Snow is generally under 1' at a time. We do have various items in the uncovered run that birds can hunker under or behind for wind and storm protection.

How cold does it get in your area, and how much snow do you see? How bad are your winter storms?

I've never seen need to winterize but I haven't seen temps below 12F and we don't tend to get really bad storms. Snow is generally under 1' at a time. We do have various items in the uncovered run that birds can hunker under or behind for wind and storm protection.
We are in the corner of Maryland/ Delaware/PA line. Last year we didnt see any snow and temps normally dont see single digits here at night. It could happen but not a normal evening night thing. One side of the Run is beside a hedgerow of trees which protects it from bad wind, the other side isnt too bad either. I am thinking maybe putting a few bales of straw for them to get behind but they can also go in the coop.

I am thinking maybe putting a few bales of straw for them to get behind but they can also go in the coop.
Good idea! They do a great job of blocking the wind.

They're also something that the chickens can get up on, peck at, and eventually, pull them apart and scratch around in the pile. If the bales are still fairly solid by the time the temps warm up, cut one of the strings and let the go to town on it.

Good idea! They do a great job of blocking the wind.

They're also something that the chickens can get up on, peck at, and eventually, pull them apart and scratch around in the pile. If the bales are still fairly solid by the time the temps warm up, cut one of the strings and let the go to town on it.
Is it straw of hay I need?

Back
Top Bottom